A total of 15 central city projects have been named finalists for the 2012 Milwaukee Awards for Neighborhood Development Innovation (MANDI).
Sponsored by U.S. Bank and LISC Milwaukee, the MANDIs recognize individuals, organizations and corporations working in Milwaukee’s central city neighborhoods. “While many people are working hard to improve Milwaukee’s neighborhoods, their stories are often untold. The MANDIs recognize the inspiring, innovative and tenacious work of people who are improving the quality of life in our central city,” said Leo Ries, LISC Milwaukee executive director.
There are five sponsored categories, with three finalists in each. They include:
- For the Brewers Community Foundation Public Space Award, which honors creation or use of public space that contributes to the overall well-being of the community: the Cluster Two Play and Grow Lot, the Beerline Recreational Trail and the Valley Passage.
- For the BMO Harris Bank Cornerstone Award, which honors an individual or organization with a long-standing commitment to a neighborhood or neighborhoods: Agape Community Center, Select Milwaukee and Wisconsin Community Services.
- For the Northern Trust Navigator Award, which honors a collaboration that brings together diverse voices and resources to improve the community: Radio Milwaukee Neighborhood Project, the 53rd Street Community Garden and the Milwaukee Area Workforce Funding Alliance.
- For the PNC Trail Blazer Award, which honors an innovative approach to a problem that is producing demonstrative results: the Most Improved Porch Contest, Veterans Manor Apartments and ArtWorks for Milwaukee.
- For the State Farm Building Blocks Award, which honors a real estate project that significantly enhances the community—fulfilling an articulated neighborhood need and demonstrating superior design quality: the Historic Kilbourn Bank State Building Redevelopment Project, Franklin Square Apartments and Townhomes and Villard Square Grandfamily Milwaukee.
Winners will be announced Wednesday, March 28, 2012 at the Pfister Hotel.