This year’s winners include Tyrone Miller from TRUE Skool, Quentin Grant from Word of Hope Ministries, Mary Marks from Bruce-Guadalupe Community School, Linda Wade from Above the Clouds, Patricia Ruiz-Cantu from La Luz del Mundo, and Jynette Hamilton from the Johnetta Borum Party.
“It is an honor to recognize these incredible individuals who have dedicated their time and efforts to serving others,” said Scott Johnson, president, Molina Healthcare of Wisconsin. “Their stories are inspirational and we are proud to call them our 2013 Community Champions.”
The Community Champions Awards program spotlights the good deeds of everyday heroes in their communities. Each winner was nominated by a community-based organization and also received a $1,000 grant to give to a deserving nonprofit organization as part of his/her award.
THE 2013 COMMUNITY CHAMPIONS AWARD WINNERS:
- Tyrone Miller is a professional DJ and volunteers as a music teacher and role model for at risk kids.
- Quentin Grant has been a mentor for ex-offenders for 8 years by coaching and helping them live a more positive lifestyle.
- Mary Marks has volunteered at Bruce-Guadalupe Community School every day from 7:00am to 3:30pm for two years supporting teachers, students and parents in pre-school.
- Linda Wade founded Above the Clouds a free dance, music, and other arts to city kids and teens who might otherwise lack the opportunity.
- Patricia Ruiz-Cantu has made life skills and parenting programs accessible in the community through La Luz del Mundo.
- Jynette Hamilton continued her friend’s legacy of love and under her dedicated leadership for 41 years now; the Christmas Party is an annual tradition serving up to 300 children.