2014 MANDI Awards coverage
Winners of the Milwaukee Awards for Neighborhood Development Innovation (MANDIs), awarded to organizations working to improve impoverished neighborhoods, were announced at a sold-out dinner.
United Methodist Children’s Services works to de-stigmatize poverty
MANDI nominee United Methodist Children’s Services finds its calling working with low-income families.
Renters move in to vacant properties through ‘Rent to Own Homes’ project
Nearly a dozen renters have moved into foreclosed homes that are part of the Rent to Own Homes program in the Layton Boulevard West neighborhood. The project is a finalist for a MANDI.
Rotary arboretum offers year-round learning for city kids
Snowshoeing, cross-country skiing and animal tracking are just a few of the activities for students on winter field trips at the Milwaukee Rotary Centennial Arboretum, a MANDI finalist.
MANDI award nominees named to ‘Sweet Sixteen’
Finalists for the 2014 Milwaukee Awards for Neighborhood Development Innnovation, known as the “MANDIs,” were announced Wednesday evening to a crowded room of nominees, community leaders and corporate sponsors.
2014 MANDI Awards finalists
• Three Bridges Park
• Milwaukee Rotary Centennial Arboretum
• Journey House Packers Football StadiumThe “BMO Harris Cornerstone Award”
• Havenwoods Economic Development Corporation
• Martin Luther King Economic Development Corporation
• Milwaukee Habitat for Humanity
• United Methodist Children’s Services of Wisconsin
The “Northern Trust Navigator Award”
• Charles Brown, Journey House
• Jan Christenson, YMCA of Metro Milwaukee
• Howard Snyder, Northwest Side Community Development Corp.
• 16th Street Community Health Center’s Kinnickinnic River Corridor Initiative
• Independence First Mobility Store
• Just One More MinistryThe “State Farm Building Blocks Award”
• King Drive Commons IV, Martin Luther King Economic Development Corporation in partnership with Impact 7
• Rent to Own Homes, Layton Boulevard West Neighbors in partnership with Impact 7
• Westlawn Gardens, Housing Authority of the City of Milwaukee