Certified Social Worker: If you are interested in this position and would like to apply please contact Leah Laven-Wilson by e-mailing Leah.Laven-Wilson@umcs-wi.org or call 344-1818.
POSITION TITLE: Sustainable Communities Initiative Plan Coordinator
CLASSIFICATION: Full-time; Salaried
TYPE OF EMPLOYMENT: Direct Hire
Please submit cover letter and resume to Bess Earl by e-mailing Bess.Earl@umcs-wi.org by January 23, 2015.
The Washington Park Partners (WPP) Sustainable Communities Coordinator (Coordinator) is the primary staff person for the implementation of the Sustainable Communities Initiative (SCI) and Quality of Life Plan (Plan) in the Washington Park neighborhood. In coordination with the Sustainable Communities Initiative Director (Director), the coordinator will lean an annual review and evaluation of the Plan and organize the Annual Gathering. The Coordinator will oversee health & wellness initiatives, commercial corridor revitalization, Washington Park activities and arts and culture. The Coordinator will market WPP and Partners achievements, programs and events through a monthly WPP Electronic Newsletter, a printed publication of electronic newsletter, website and social media.
Essential Job Functions:
- LeadanannualreviewandevaluationofthePlanincludingcreationofanannualreporttodocumentinitiative achievements and an annual Plan update.
- Coordinate the following areas of the Plan: arts & culture, commercial corridor revitalization, health & wellness and Washington Park by coordinating work groups and meetings. The Coordinator is responsible for maintaining records such as members, agendas, minutes and create action plans and assist partners and residents in implementing them.
- The coordinator will oversee the following programs: (a) urban agriculture initiatives, (b) commercial corridor projects on Vliet Street and Lisbon Avenue and support the North Avenue BID #28 by developing strategies for vacant lot usage including public art and neighborhood branding, recruit new businesses and work with local entrepreneurs to connect to vacant commercial space, (c) support the Washington Park pool beautification project and (d) organize art activities including an art festival and networking event.
- Coordinate major community building events that will increase resident involvement in the Initiative and the programs of partner organizations.
- Coordinate communication strategies to promote the SCI and Partners achievements, programs and events through a monthly electronic newsletter, a printed version of the electronic newsletter, update the Washington Park Partners website and manage social media.
- Research, write and negotiate funding and other proposals for projects and strategies identified through the SCI. Work with the Director to prepare and give presentations to funders as required.
- Prepare and submit monthly reports to the Director.
- Perform other relevant tasks as assigned.
The Sustainable Communities Initiative Plan Coordinator reports to the WPP Sustainable Communities Initiative Director and in the absence of this supervisor shall report to the United Methodist Children’s Services of Wisconsin, Inc Executive Director.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Knowledge of and ability to collaborate with community residents, organizations and public officials. Ability to conduct community meetings and events.
Ability to track revenue and expenditures and leverage additional resources.
Ability to write reports and generate promotional materials.
Exceptional organizational and time management skills.
Understanding of urban agriculture initiatives and commercial corridor revitalization.
Availability to attend community meetings and events on weekday evenings and weekends is required. Knowledge and working ability with personal computer and Microsoft Office and Adobe Software. Demonstrated awareness of boundary/safety and confidentiality issues.
Budget and program development skills.
Education and Experience:
Bachelor’s or other degree in a field related to Community Development; or at least 3 years experience in Community Development.
Experience in marketing, using social media for marketing purposes and website development.