The 53206 Drug-Free Communities Project works to prevent and reduce youth alcohol and marijuana use in Milwaukee’s 53206 zip code including Milwaukee’s Amani and Lindsay Heights neighborhoods. Preventing youth drug use also prevents crime and opens up possibilities for the young people in our communities. Our Project works to do numerous things in our communities including, but not limited to:
- Reducing access to alcohol and marijuana or marijuana paraphernalia
- Enhancing community leader skills
- Providing information to the community
Since Rashidah Butler has taken on the role of Drug-Free Communities Coordinator in July of 2016, we have:
- Surveyed 100 students to get accurate data about their marijuana and alcohol usage and the perception about the risks and harms of this behavior. We are currently in the process of sharing this data with youth, residents, and community partners to create strategic plans that specifically address the trends from the data.
- Had every student at Auer Avenue Community School take the “A Drug-Free Me” Pledge and made commitments to live a drug-free life AND spread the message to their peers and their community about why it is important.
- Hosted a 53206 Drug-Free Communities Retreat. 20 representatives from our community came together to learn about the 53206 Drug-Free Communities Project, network, and get extensive training on the Strategic Prevention Framework and Seven Strategies for Community Change. Attendees also participated in a gallery walk and focus group to share their experiences and opinions on youth substance usage in the 53206 zip code.
We are looking to recruit volunteers to help move us towards our goals of community collaboration and reduce youth use of alcohol and marijuana in the 53206 zip code. To learn more visit www.53206drugfree.org or contact Rashidah Butler at (414) 270-4659 or RButler@CommunityAdvocates.net.Did you like this story? Subscribe to NNS today.