The Department of Public Works will begin taking reservations for neighborhood cleanup boxes on Wednesday, March 1, 2017. Reservations may be made by calling 414-286-3345.
The 2017 program will place up to 13 boxes each Saturday from April 22nd through July 29th. Boxes will be placed between 2:00 a.m. and 10:00 a.m., and picked up after 4:00 p.m. the same day to deter illegal dumping and to maximize the use of the boxes by clean-up organizers.
The following criteria will be used to screen callers requesting clean up boxes:
- Requestors must organize a neighborhood clean-up prior to reserving a box
- Boxes are only placed on accessible street corners, not on vacant lots or parking surfaces
- Boxes are not placed for businesses, schools or churches
- Boxes will not be relocated once placed, and they will be removed if neighbors complain
- Reservations are limited to 2 boxes per weekend (out of maximum 13 boxes)
- Organizers may only reserve boxes once every eight weeks
The following items are not to be placed in clean up boxes:
- Construction and building material, TVs, electronics & appliances, tires, tree limbs
- Leaves or grass. These items should instead be taken to the city’s drop-off centers for proper recycling or composting
- Recyclables (paper, cardboard, glass, plastic bottles, steel and aluminum cans). These items should instead be taken to the drop-off centers for proper recycling
- Hazardous Waste (paint thinner, pesticides, used motor oil, etc). These items should instead be taken to one of the three Milwaukee Metropolitan Sewerage District Household Hazardous Waste sites. Information regarding locations and hours is located online at mmsd.com/household-hazardous-waste
Neighborhood groups are encouraged to use these containers to clean up and beautify their communities. Residents who witness private contractors illegally dumping items into cleanup boxes should contact the Police Department at the non-emergency number (414-933-4444).