The fire station at 2903 N. Teutonia, built in 1911 to serve the burgeoning northwest side, is marking its first century of service this year. The station has been home to Engine 30 since it was incorporated on March 1, 1912. Truck Company 12, which originated in 1904, has called the station home since 1982. Both are among the busiest in the city, according to Lt. Scott Clark.
Built at a cost of $20,992 (about $467,000 today), the building has been renovated many times. Over the years the overhead doors were expanded to accommodate larger equipment, the station’s tower was significantly reduced, and the floors were reinforced. The last renovation in the early 1990s fully upgraded the firehouse’s kitchen.
The loft that stored hay for Engine 30’s horses is now used to store items that include the station’s Christmas decorations. What is left of the watchtower is now the ideal spot to hang and dry fire hoses. Engines and trucks also have changed significantly from the horse-drawn steamers used when the station was built.
The station’s service boundaries are roughly Third Street to the east, Wright Street to the south, 23rd Street to the west and Melvina to the north.