A new app recently released by the American Red Cross is making it easier and faster for users to find a nearby blood drive, schedule blood donations and track their total donations. Other features on the app allow donors to earn rewards and even invite friends and family to join them on a lifesaving team.
“The Red Cross Blood Donor App is a new way to help meet the constant need for blood,” said Greg Novinska, CEO for the Red Cross Badger-Hawkeye Blood Services Region. “The app makes it easier, faster and more convenient for users to schedule and manage their donation appointments, track the lifetime impact of their donations, and recruit friends and family to roll up a sleeve with them.”
In addition to scheduling and managing blood donation appointments, other features of the app include:
- The ability to sync a blood donation appointment with the user’s calendar.
- Personalized “selfies” donors can use as they share their donation experience through social media.
- Special badges donors can unlock as they interact with the app, make donations and spread the word.
- A chance for donors to come together to form teams, tracking their cumulative impact and viewing standings on the Blood Donor Teams Leaderboard.
- Exclusive offers and discounts from brands including Shari’s Berries, ProFlowers and 1A Auto, with new rewards added regularly.
- Uplifting donor and blood recipient stories that show the power of rolling up a sleeve to help save lives.
The Blood Donor App, along with the others, can be found in app stores by searching for American Red Cross, visiting redcross.org/apps or redcrossblood.org/bloodapp, or by texting BLOODAPP to 90999 for a direct link to download. Message and data rates for texting may apply.