The Milwaukee Y announced today that it has extended the sign-up period for its Milwaukee Swims program in partnership with the Milwaukee County Parks by two weeks in order to give more children and families access to its $5 swim lessons that are being offered at five parks this summer.
As a result of positive feedback and increased interest since the Milwaukee Swims program began last month, the Milwaukee Y will now accept new registrations until Monday, July 20.
According to a recent Red Cross survey, 61 percent of children, including more than half of all teens, can’t perform basic swim safety skills. And nearly a fifth (18 percent) of adults who will be expected to supervise a child near water this summer are not able to perform all five water safety skills. These critical water safety skills, also known as “water competency,” are the ability to, in this order: step or jump into the water over your head; return to the surface and float or tread water for one minute; turn around in a full circle and find an exit; swim 25 yards to the exit; and exit from the water. If in a pool, be able to exit without using the ladder.
To address this critical issue, Milwaukee Swims lessons are available for children ages six and above, as well as non-swimming adults, and are designed to teach non-swimmers basic swim skills and water safety, including how to recognize dangerous situations when in and around water environments.
Sessions are $5 per individual or $10 per family and are taught by certified YMCA swim instructors. Registration can be completed onsite at any of the Milwaukee Swims park locations, at any Milwaukee Y Center, as well as online at www.ymcamke.org. For more information, you can also call the Milwaukee Swims hotline at: 414.357.2838.
Program runs until August 22 / Lesson times:
- Children ages 6-8 years old and 9-12 years old – lessons take place Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays from 10-10:45 am and from 11-11:45 am.
- Children 13 and older – lessons take place Wednesdays and Saturdays from 11-11:45 am.
- Individuals age 21 and older – lessons take place Saturdays from 11-11:45 am.
Five Milwaukee County Park locations:
- David F. Schultz Aquatic Center in Lincoln Park: 1301 W Hampton Ave., Milwaukee
- Jackson Park: 3500 W Forest Home Ave. Milwaukee
- Pelican Cove Family Water Park in Kosciuszko Park: 2201 S. 7th St., Milwaukee
- Sheridan Park: 4800 S Lake Dr., Cudahy
- Washington Park: 1859 N 40 St., Milwaukee
For children ages 1 to 14, fatal drowning remains the second leading cause of unintentional injury-related death, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Adding to this grave problem is the fact that nationally, 70 percent of African-American children, 58 percent of Hispanic children and 40 percent of white children have little or no swimming ability.
The Y is committed to reversing these preventable and troubling statistics by collaborating with the Milwaukee County Parks to offer Milwaukee Swims, a partnership designed to bring swim lessons to more locations throughout Milwaukee County.
a champion for healthy living, the vision of Milwaukee Y is a stronger, healthier Milwaukee where families of all incomes and backgrounds truly thrive.
- Post from Community: YMCA of Metropolitan Milwaukee to implement an emergency closing and suspend operations – a COVID-19 response - March 15, 2020
- Milwaukee YMCA Healthy Families Day - July 5, 2017
- YMCA of Metropolitan Milwaukee offers environmental education on National Get Outdoors Day June 10th - June 7, 2017