Seven times a day, someone in this country dies in a home fire. The American Red Cross is launching a nationwide campaign to reduce the number of home fire deaths and injuries by 25 percent over the next five years.
We’re joining with fire departments and community groups nationwide to canvass neighborhoods, install smoke alarms and deliver fire prevention information in places we know have high numbers of fires.
The Red Cross also is asking every household in America to join us in taking the two simple steps that can save lives: checking their existing smoke alarms and practicing fire drills at home.
Join the Home fire Preparedness Team today and start making a difference in your community. choose from any of the exciting positions below:
- Event Canvasser – In small teams you will go door-to-door to notify residents in targeted neighborhoods of ithe nstallation opportunity in their area.
- Neighborhood Captain – Coordinates teams, meetings, routes, communications protocols, training, reporting and closeout on event day.
- Support Lead – Ensures all needed locations, materials, and equipment are acquired, ready and in place for the event. In addition, helps coordinate vehicles, staging areas, refreshments, supplies and other needed logistical support.
- Smoke Alarm Installer – Conduct home visits, test existing smoke alarms in homes, replace batteries as needed, and install smoke alarms within the home according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Disaster Safety Educator – Provide education to residents on fire safety and additional local hazards, and assist residents in completing a home fire escape plan.
- Documenter/Reporter – Document resident information, including the services provided. Complete all acknowledgement forms and reports for campaign tracking.
Upcoming Home fire Preparedness events
January, 18th 8:45am-1:00pm: Canvassing and Smoke Alarm Installation Event
Volunteers will meet at Sherman Park Senior Living Center, 3245 N 37th St, Milwaukee, WI 53216
Contact Leslie Luther @ 414 345-8698 or Leslie.Luther@redcross.org
- Red Cross urges blood donations to help trauma patients - April 24, 2019
- Red Cross issues emergency call for blood donors - January 15, 2019
- Severe blood shortage: Red Cross issues immediate call for blood and platelet donations - November 13, 2018