Cities across the nation and around the world are embracing the Garden as Green Space as a way to increase community, resiliency and livability. Are you willing to help Milwaukee’s green spaces take a big step forward?
Since its formal inception in the spring of 2016 Friends of Milwaukee’s Downtown Forest (FMDF) has presented our Vision, Mission and Aims (VMA) to multiple stakeholders with deep interest in the future of Milwaukee. The VMA has found widespread acceptance as a concept and for Plan C sites, but has not found support for Plan A or Plan B sites.
Recently, we learned that the Plan A site, officially 320 E Ogden or Plot 22 of the Downtown Development Plan, has been withdrawn from the developer and a new RFP for the site will by offered by Milwaukee County. FMDF now seeks partners in developing this RFP. We will not have the details until late September 2018. We will have 30 days after that to prepare the final document for the RFP. We know we can’t do this alone so we are asking your support.
In Good Food, Strong Communities edited by Steve Ventura and Martin Baikley note that change in our food system can occur through “collective impact for change that occurs from many people and organizations working on many aspects of a multifaceted issue” (p.16).
Are you ready to add to the collective impact needed for a resilient food system in Milwaukee:
- “A common agenda for change shared by all participants
- Shared measurement systems agreed upon buy all
- Mutually reinforcing activities performed by specific participants under a guiding overall plan
- Continual communication among all participants to share information, report on progress or challenges, and develop mutual shared trust
- A separate organization acting as the backbone for the entire initiative?” (p.17)
Are you willing to add your expertise and or/ the expertise of your organization to the development of this project. If so, please message Barbara on Friends of Milwaukee’s Downtown Forest Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/538772856327700/