It’s Monday in Milwaukee, and here are some events we think you shouldn’t miss. If you would like your event to be considered for this column, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and put “5 things” in the subject line by noon Thursday.
1. LULAC National Convention & Exposition: Wednesday, July 10-July 13
The League of United Latin American Citizens, or LULAC, will be hosting its national convention this week in Milwaukee. LULAC is celebrating 90 years of service. The convention starts on Wednesday, July 10 and goes through Saturday, July 13. For a schedule of events click here. To learn more about LULAC and the convention click here.
2. Public screening of Milwaukee 53206 documentary: Wednesday, July 10
Several healthcare groups in Milwaukee are hosting a screening of the documentary on the ZIP code 53206, “Milwaukee 53206: A Community Serves Time.” On Wednesday, July 10, there will be two screenings at the Hillside Terrace Resources Center, 1452 N. 7th St. The first is at 10 a.m. and includes a panel discussion and the second is at 5:30 p.m.
3. Volunteers needed to fix up Harambee parks: Thursday, July 11
Riverworks Center is looking for volunteers to help repair and spruce up pocket parks in the Harambee neighborhood, 137 W. Keefe St. Volunteers will be building picnic tables, repainting benches and working on landscaping projects. The group plans to meet on Thursday, July 11 at 10 a.m.
4. Rhythm & Blooms concert series: Thursday, July 11
This week marks the start of the Havenwoods Summer Concert Series at the Green Tree Community Garden, 6767 N. 60th St. On Thursday, July 11, residents are invited to enjoy the music of King Solomon. The concert starts at 6 p.m.
5. Second anniversary of CLOSEmsdf: Saturday, July 13
Last year, local groups and leaders launched the CLOSEmsdf campaign to close the Milwaukee Secure Detention Facility. This year, the group is continuing the fight with an anniversary event on Saturday, July 13 at St. Benedict the Moor, 1015 N. 9th St. There will be testimonies, food and a march. The event starts at 3 p.m.
- 5 things to do and know this week in Milwaukee: Oct. 26 to Oct. 31 - October 26, 2020
- 5 things to do and know the weekend of Oct. 24 - October 23, 2020
- 5 things to do and know this week in Milwaukee: Oct. 19 to Oct. 24 - October 19, 2020