Editor’s note: This article has been updated to correct the spelling of Skechers.
It’s Friday in Milwaukee, and here are some events that can enrich your weekend. If you would like your event to be considered for this column, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and put “5 things” in the subject line by noon Thursday.
1. Shoe giveaway at the Boys & Girls Club: Friday, Sept. 20
Skechers, Rogan’s Shoes and Soles4Souls are donating 1,500 pairs of shoes to children at the Don and Sallie Davis Boys and Girls Club, 1975 S. 24th St., on Friday, Sept. 20. The children also will have the opportunity to personalize their new shoes. The event begins at 3 p.m. and goes until 6 p.m.
2. Menomonee River Valley fall festival: Saturday, Sept. 21 – Saturday, Sept. 28
Valley Week, Menomonee River Valley’s annual fall festival, is back. This year, the festival takes place starting Saturday, Sept. 21 through Saturday, Sept. 28. Milwaukeeans can participate in Valley Bingo, listen to a resident share her story in Campfire Stories and more. For the full list of activities and events, click here.
3. Mental health in the black community discussion: Saturday, Sept. 21
Table of the Saints presents “Don’t talk at the dinner table,” an all-day event to address mental health in the black community. James Causey of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel will serve as the moderator. The event takes place at Charles, 4757 N. 76th St., on Saturday, Sept. 21. Admission is free and the event runs from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. There will be a panel discussion, a keynote speaker, a film screening and more.
4. Milwaukee Urban League Young Professionals celebrates 20 years: Saturday, Sept. 21
The Milwaukee Urban League Young Professionals is celebrating its 20th anniversary on Saturday, Sept. 21. The group began as a volunteer auxiliary to the Milwaukee Urban League. The celebration will be held at Venue 42 at Milwaukee Brewing Company, 1130 N. 9th St., and begins at 8 p.m. Tickets cost $40 and can be purchased here.
5. Ex Fabula’s deaf storyslam: Sunday, Sept. 22
As part of Deaf Awareness Week, Ex Fabula is hosting a StorySlam featuring deaf storytellers at the Mitchell Street Library, 906 W. Historic St., on Sunday, Sept. 22. Members of the deaf community will be sharing stories based on the theme “labels.” The event is free and starts at 2 p.m.
About Ana Martinez-Ortiz
Ana serves as NNS’ newly created community engagement reporter and is responsible for writing stories that help our readers navigate their lives as well as making sure they know the fun things that are happening in their neighborhoods. You can email her here or call (414) 604-6397.
- 5 things to do and know the weekend of Sept. 18 - September 17, 2020
- ‘This pandemic is still out here’: How families can prepare for fall and winter - September 16, 2020
- 5 things to do and know this week in Milwaukee: Sept. 14 to Sept. 19 - September 14, 2020