“Some people are so eager to get big ticket items, they plan their Thanksgiving around Black Friday sales,” explained Ran Hoth, BBB president and CEO. “The crowds this year will be no different. Ease your shopping day by making a game plan, sticking to your budget and understanding each store’s return policy.”
Black Friday shoppers should keep these tips in mind:
- Compare deals. It always pays to comparison shop. Take the time to check prices on the same items at various stores.
- Create a budget and stick to it. Make a list and determine how much you can afford to spend on each person.
- Search for Black Friday ads ahead of time. Newspapers often have coupons that give discounts for Black Friday and some ads may also be posted on the Internet.
- Maximize advance alerts. Sign up for email alerts from your favorite retailers and take advantage of special social media opportunities. Many stores work to reward your loyalty and you may get a jump on special offers.
- Return policies, restocking fees and refunds. Ask for the store’s return policy before you make your purchase. Also, ask about restocking fees and save your receipts in one place so you don’t lose them. Most stores will require you to produce a receipt for a return.
- Be sure to ask for gift receipts. Without proof of purchase, the recipient may be turned down for returning or exchanging an item or risk receiving a refund at a lower price.
- Gift cards. Gift cards regularly top consumers’ wish lists. When buying gift cards in a store, check the packaging and any security seals to be sure they are intact and haven’t been tampered with. Be sure to check the terms and conditions of each card. Some do expire.
- Check out the company. Visit bbb.org before shopping for free business reviews on local and national companies.
- Post from Community: BBB Scam Alert: This get-rich-quick con promises fast money on Cash App - November 15, 2020
- Post from Community: BBB Tip: Back to school internet safety tips - August 26, 2020
- Post from Community: BBB Tip: Hiring a tutor - August 3, 2020