The Milwaukee Enrollment Network is offering two holiday open houses for consumers shopping for health insurance savings. On Thursday, December 10, from 2 pm to 7 pm, open houses hosted at Aurora Family Services, 3200 West Highland Boulevard and Walker’s Point Community Clinic, 130 Bruce Street will offer free and confidential help for individuals looking for affordable health care coverage.
“With so many families looking for holiday bargains, the health insurance open houses are a great way for folks to review their coverage options and find the best fit for their needs and their budgets,” says Heather Dummer Combs, of the Milwaukee Enrollment Network. “We know that many people are still unaware that they are eligible for affordable coverage in the Health Insurance Marketplace or BadgerCare Plus.”
During last year’s open enrollment period, individuals who compared plans in the Health Insurance Marketplace saved an average of $400 in premium costs. In Milwaukee, 9 out of 10 people received financial assistance for Marketplace coverage.
“Our enrollment assisters can help consumers understand what types of coverage are available and how to find the most affordable options,” adds Dummer Combs. “Working with a local expert can help alleviate stress and make the enrollment process run smoothly.”
The open enrollment period for the Health Insurance Marketplace runs through January 31st, but consumers must sign up by December 15th, in order to be covered on the first of the year.
Consumers should be prepared when signing up for healthcare coverage. Whether attending an open house, visiting healthcare.gov or calling 1-800-318-2596, they should have the following information about themselves and their household:
- social security numbers or document numbers for legal immigrants
- employer and income information for every person in the home who needs coverage (from pay stubs or W-2 forms)
- policy numbers for any current health insurance plans covering members of the household
To find more information on the open houses and where local help is available, consumers should dial 2-1-1. Adults with income below 100% of the federal poverty level ($11,670 per year for an individual) and children and pregnant women in households with income under 300% of the poverty level ($71,550 for a family of 4), may enroll anytime in BadgerCare Plus.
- Post from Community: “Last Chance” events to sign up for health insurance before Dec. 15 deadline - December 10, 2019
- “Last chance” events to sign up for health insurance before December 15th deadline - December 8, 2017
- December 15th is the deadline for Obamacare coverage in January - December 12, 2016