The Milwaukee Public Library (MPL) is seeking 10 Teen Interns. Interns will assist in implementing the library’s Connected Learning for Teens initiative, fulfilling the mission and vision of the Milwaukee Public Library and employing the strategies outlined in the Library’s MPL 2020: Our Plan for the Future. Interns will serve as faces and voices for the Library, spearheading teen outreach projects and developing new programs for teens in the Milwaukee community. They will also consult on space design and redesign, mentor their peers, and host engaging events, all while developing critical career skills in the process. Whip smart, innovative, and dedicated to helping others read, learn, and connect? This is the internship for you!
25% Lead Specialty Projects
Develop and implement projects designed to engage teens in all that the Milwaukee Public Library has to offer. This may include hosting events, designing and launching an App for teens, spearheading major teen outreach initiatives, and updating teen targeted social media on a regular basis.
25% Build Studios for Connected Learning
Work in collaboration with community teens to design teen spaces and present your recommendations to MPL staff. Help with subsequent grant writing to curate technology and art for the teen spaces. Assist with purchasing, installation, training, and launch parties. This may involve hosting Open Studio times, helping to engage educators in using teen space at the library, and helping to hire College Mentors.
25% Spearhead Teen Promotion
Help get the word out about library events and programs and programs for teens. Interns will serve as liaisons to their peers, using social media and other effective strategies to engage teens in MPL programs and resources.
10% Professional Development
Learn how to connect the dots between your internship at the library and your plans for the future. Help your peers do the same by hosting college and career readiness programs.
Interns will work closely with their colleagues in the internship program, MPL staff, and community members to achieve their mission and serve their community. Interns will be expected to advise on multiple library projects that relate to teens and the target markets outlined in MPL 2020: Our plan for the Future.
Coached by MPL staff, you will be expected to document your activity, measure your progress, and report on your work.
5% Other duties as assigned.
- Working toward a high school diploma.
- Between the ages of 13 and 18.
- Leadership experience in school and other relevant activities.
- Genuine interest in helping peers develop 21st century literacies.
- MUST have reliable transportation to and from work.
- Ability to pass a drug test.
- Ability to attain a work permit.
- NOTE: There is no minimum GPA requirement, but a most recent high school grade report must be included with your application.
Beneficial Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Able to develop rapport with peers, parents, and community partners.
- Able to work both independently and in a team.
- Basic project management skills.
- Interest in technology and making. Proficiency in Adobe Suite a major plus.
- Interest in communications and marketing, particularly social media.
- Skilled in time management, organization, and written and verbal communication.
- The work schedule is an average of 10 hours a week, which includes regular after school and weekend hours.
- Interns must be available to work from Friday, December 1, 2017 to Saturday, June 9, 2018.
- Demonstrate flexibility with work schedule based on program needs.
Current Pay Rate:
The selection process will be job related and will consist of one or more of the following: education and experience evaluation, oral interview performance, or other assessment methods. The Milwaukee Public Library reserves the right to call only the most qualified candidates to oral interviews. Oral interviews may include written exercises. Please note that successful applicants will be required to submit to a drug test. Successful applicants under 16 years of age will be required to obtain a work permit.
Please note that successful applicants will be assigned a time for an interview. Interviews will take place from Thursday, November 16 through Saturday, November 25, 2017 at Milwaukee Public Library’s Central Library, 814 W. Wisconsin Ave. Successful applicants will also be required to go to a Concentra clinic to complete their drug test between Tuesday, November 28 and Thursday, November 30, 2017.
Applicants may apply online at mpl.org/TeenInterns. Further information may be obtained in person from any Milwaukee Public Library branch, or by calling (414) 286–8711. Applications will be accepted through Sunday, November 12, 2017.
The Library will host a recruitment event on Monday, November 6, 2017 from 5-7 p.m. at the Mitchell Street Branch, 906 W. Historic Mitchell St. Attending the recruitment event is a great way to meet the hiring managers, see the work space, and get your questions answered. All applicants are encouraged to attend and bring friends!Did you like this story? Subscribe to NNS today.