Speed Teaching Master Class
September 25 & 27 6:00 – 8:00 PM
Arts @ Large is continuously hiring artist educators to fill residency needs throughout Milwaukee Public Schools. Attendees of this master class session will be considered for residency opportunities with Arts @ Large for the 2018-19 school year. Future professional development classes will also be available for artists looking to further develop their skills.
This master class is for new artists who are interested in becoming Artist Educators with Arts @ Large. It will allow us to learn more about your work with students in the classroom.
Please come prepared to share your best five minutes of classroom instruction!
• We’ll take volunteers first and then choose remaining leaders at random.
• You’ll begin by giving us your full name, your area of expertise, and your target age group.
• You will teach as if we’re the target age group. So, if your specialty is kindergarteners, don’t be afraid to lead us in that manner.
• Your “students” will be sitting in chairs, with tables set up nearby. So, if you need an open space for movement or if you need tabletops, you’ll have it.
• We’re interested in how you handle transitions, so getting your students to find partners, sit on the floor, arrange chairs in a circle, etc. is a crucial part of what we’re eager to see.
• Be sure that your chosen activity requires meaningful interaction with your students. (i.e. discussion, hands-on practice, etc.)
• Assume we have NO previous knowledge of your art area, so we can see how you might introduce a new concept to students.
• Due to obvious time constraints, select an activity that doesn’t require too much set-up or clean up time.
• After five minutes, we will stop you and move on to the next class leader.
If you have any questions please reach out to Elodie at email@example.com or 414-763-7379.Did you like this story? Subscribe to NNS today.