The Milwaukee Awards for Neighborhood Development Innovation (known as the MANDIs) will celebrate its 20th year anniversary and continue to celebrate the “good news” of successful efforts to revitalize neighborhoods and strengthen the community. From public nominations, a volunteer Selection Committee has named 12 finalists for awards this year.
Finalists in six categories were announced at a public event at the Grain Exchange located in the historic Mackie Building to an audience on Tuesday night. Joshua Jeffers of J. Jeffers & Co. was the event sponsor.
Sponsored by U.S. Bank, in partnership with LISC Milwaukee, the MANDIs recognize individuals, organizations, and projects that are improving conditions in Milwaukee’s neighborhoods. Finalists are selected from public nominations by a 40-member, independent, cross-sector volunteer committee. Winners will be announced at an Oscar-style gala at the 20th Annual MANDIs on Thursday, April 11, 2019 at the Potawatomi Hotel and Casino. The event draws a diverse audience of more than 700 leaders from the private, philanthropic and nonprofit communities.
The “Brewers Community Foundation Public Space Award” for public space that helps build the community.
- Browning Elementary/Silver Spring Neighborhood Center Multi-Sport Collaborative Group
- Washington Park Neighbors for Washington Park Concert Series
The “BMO Harris Cornerstone Award” for commitment and effectiveness over time.
- CORE El Centro
- Running Rebels Community Organization
The “Chase Economic Development Award” for economic and business development
- Blue Skies Landscaping
- Rev-Up MKE
The “Northern Trust Navigator Award” for individual leadership
- Carolyn Esswein, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
- Susan Lloyd, Zilber Family Foundation
The “Associated Bank Trail Blazer Award” for an innovative approach to a community problem.
- MATC Promise
- PeppNation Sports Leadership Camps MKE
The “State Farm Building Blocks Award” for a real estate project that advances the community.
- Turnkey Renovation-Layton Boulevard West Neighbors
- Welford Sanders Historic Lofts and Enterprise Center
The “Wells Fargo People’s Choice Award” will be given to finalists who receive the most public votes in April. The “Northwestern Mutual Collaboration Award” will also be given to a note-worthy nonprofit collaboration during the event.
About LISC: Local Initiatives Support Corporation (LISC) is the recognized leader in neighborhood development. Since 1980, LISC national has marshaled $13 billion from investors, lenders and donors to foster the revitalization of more than 300 urban neighborhoods and rural communities. Since 1995, LISC Milwaukee has invested $148 million in Milwaukee’s neighborhoods through grants, loans and technical assistance to neighborhood-based community development efforts. More information is available at www.lisc.org or www.lisc.org/milwaukee.
- Post from Community: Theodore Lipscomb named to top job at LISC Milwaukee to expand economic development investments, deepen response to COVID-19 - July 7, 2020
- Post from Community: Grants and loans to support Milwaukee small businesses from LISC Milwaukee - May 21, 2020
- Post from Community: Application now open for the LISC Small Business Relief Grants - April 23, 2020