1. Milwaukee Public school board candidates forum, Monday, March 25
The candidates for the Milwaukee school board will attend a forum on racial equity and leadership. The forum will take place from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. at St. Matthew C.M.E. Church, 2944 N. 9th St. The MPS school board election take place April 2. (Here’s an explainer on the elections.) Questions for the forum will be provided by the Milwaukee Inner-city Congregations Allied for Hope, the American Civil Liberties Union of Wisconsin, Uplifting Black Liberation and Community, African-American Civic Engagement Roundtable and the Milwaukee PTA Council. Audience members can submit questions during the forum.
2. Lunch and Learn: Let’s taco-bout it, Monday, March 25
Latino Arts, Inc. and Meat on the Street are hosting an event from 11:30 a.m. until 1 p.m. at 1028 S. 9th St. There are opportunities to learn more about the history of tacos and to try tacos from Antigua Latin Inspired Kitchen, Mazorca and Meet on the Street. Tickets are $10 and can be purchased here.
3. Visual Journals and Narrative Stories with Artist-in-Residence Celeste Contreras, Wednesday, March 27
The 2019 Gathering Art, Stories and Place artist residency in collaboration with Artists Working in Education will begin with workshops from 3:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. at the Mitchell Street Branch, 906 W. Historic Mitchell St. Participants will explore codexes, zines, artist journals, artist books, traditional books and nontraditional books. Each participant will be able to create a book in numerous forms, as well as learn and interact with artists, art books and art forms. Resources will be provided for participants. Learn more about the project here.
4. District 6 Milwaukee Police Department crime analysis meeting, Wednesday, March 27
Officers will discuss major crime trends for the month. The meeting will be held at 6 p.m. at Aurora St. Luke’s Medical Center, 2900 W. Oklahoma Ave. To find out what district your home is in, check out the City of Milwaukee’s website.
5. Winter farmers market’s final day, Saturday, March 30
Milwaukee’s winter farmers market concludes Saturday, March 30. From 8 a.m. until noon a farmers market will be held in the greenhouse annex at the Mitchell Park Domes, 524 S. Layton Blvd. There will be an array of fresh foods and drink. You can find more information on the Milwaukee winter farmers market’s website.
Bonus item: The Democratic National Convention will take place in Milwaukee: Find out how to work it!
Democratic National Committee Chairman Tom Perez announced earlier this month that the DNC will take place at Fiserv Forum from July 13 to July 16, 2020. Milwaukee residents will have numerous volunteer and job opportunities. Sign up to volunteer or apply for a job here.
- 5 things you need to know this week in Milwaukee: May 6 to May 11 - May 6, 2019
- 5 things you need to know this week in Milwaukee: April 29-May 4 - April 29, 2019
- 5 things you need to know this week in Milwaukee: April 22-April 27 - April 22, 2019