It’s Friday in Milwaukee, and here are some events that can enrich your weekend. If you would like your event to be considered for this column, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and put 5 things in the subject line by noon Thursday
1. Making Movies at the Latino Arts Auditorium: Friday, May 17
Making Movies, a band known for its Afro-Latino rhythms and psychedelic rock’n’roll, will perform at 7 p.m. Friday at the Latino Arts Auditorium, 1028 S. 9th St. The band plans to release an album this month, which features its single “No Te Calles.”
2. League of Women Voters’ roundtable discussion on lead: Saturday, May 18
The League of Women Voters of Milwaukee County is addressing Milwaukee’s lead issues through a series of roundtable discussions. The league’s goal is to help combat the number of lead-poisoning cases, which greatly affect children. This event begins at 1 p.m. Saturday at the Summit Place, 6737 W. Washington St., West Allis, in the Glass Patio Room. Those interested can register here.
3. Waistbeads, Whine Dance and Wellness Expo: Saturday, May 18
Pretty, Plus Size & Powerful is focusing on motherhood during its monthly exposition. The event starts at 1 p.m. Saturday at the Milwaukee Math and Science Academy, 110 W. Burleigh St., and will offer resources on sisterhood and support systems. Ticket prices range and can be purchased here.
4. Trap & Paint: Saturday, May 18
Vibez Creative Arts Space, 3536 W. Fond du Lac Ave., is hosting another Trap & Paint night with Jackson. This night’s theme is “World Wide Edition,” and guests can enjoy trap music and drinks while painting. Tickets cost $35 and include painting materials, instructions and your first drink.
5. “No Menthol Sunday”: Sunday, May 19
“No Menthol Sunday” is a national day of observance. The Wisconsin African American Tobacco Prevention Network, along with city and faith leaders, health advocates and others, will use the day to spread information on how menthol tobacco use affects communities of color. Churches throughout the community will be distributing information through packets and sermons.
- 5 things to do and know this week in Milwaukee: Nov. 23 to Nov. 28 - November 23, 2020
- 5 things to do and know the weekend of Nov. 20 - November 20, 2020
- NNS Spotlight: ‘We wouldn’t take a recess’: How the Southside Organizing Center presses on despite the pandemic - November 17, 2020