It’s Friday in Milwaukee, and here are some events that can enrich your weekend. If you would like your event to be considered for this column, please email email@example.com and put “5 things” in the subject line by noon Thursday.
1. Lights for Liberty at City Hall: Friday, July 12
Milwaukee residents are invited to participate in “Lights for Liberty: A Vigil to End Human Detention Camps” on Friday, July 12. The event’s aim is to protest the inhumane conditions that refugees face. There will be a demonstration and a candlelight vigil. The group is gathering at Milwaukee’s City Hall, 200 E. Wells St., and the event goes from 8 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.
2. The 2019 African Cultural Festival: Saturday, July 13
The African Cultural Festival will be hosting its 2019 celebration on Saturday, July 13 in Brown Deer Park, 7835 N. Green Bay Rd. The event is a celebration of African cultural heritage and will feature African music, drumming, dancing, food and more. Admission is free, and the festival begins at 11 a.m.
3. Have coffee with Rep. David Crowley: Saturday, July 13
Rep. David Crowley is inviting the Milwaukee community to join him for a coffee at the Sherman Perk Coffee Shop, 4924 W. Roosevelt Drive, on Saturday, July 13. Crowley wants to discuss ways to move the community forward. The discussion will start at 11:30 a.m.
4. Shine-A-Light kick-off block party: Saturday, July 13
Shine-A-Light MKE 2020 aims to bring awareness to grassroots nonprofits, businesses, churches and more during the 2020 Democratic National Convention, which will be in Milwaukee. The group is launching its kick-off event with a block party on Saturday, July 13 on North 18th Street starting at noon.
5. Milwaukee Public Schools job fair: Saturday, July 13
Milwaukee Public Schools is hosting its first of two job fairs this summer on Saturday, July 13. It is looking for teachers, paraprofessionals and more to join the Milwaukee Public Schools’ faculty and staff. To learn more about the available jobs and benefits check out the job fair at Vincent High School, 7501 N. Granville Rd. The fair goes from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- 5 things to do and know the weekend of Sept. 18 - September 17, 2020
- ‘This pandemic is still out here’: How families can prepare for fall and winter - September 16, 2020
- 5 things to do and know this week in Milwaukee: Sept. 14 to Sept. 19 - September 14, 2020