It’s Monday in Milwaukee, and here are some events we think you shouldn’t miss. If you would like your event to be considered for this column, please email email@example.com and put “5 things” in the subject line by noon Thursday.
1. New exhibition at Greenwood Park Gallery and Framing: Monday, July 22
Greenwood Park Gallery and Framing, 4233 W. Fond du Lac Ave., is presenting its latest exhibition on Monday, July 22. Katrina Mosley, a photojournalist, took the photos for the exhibition titled “Jennifer: A Series of Portraits.” The gallery will be unveiling the photos at 10:30 a.m.
2. Learn to breakdance with True Skool: Wednesday, July 24
TRUE Skool wants to teach you how to breakdance. On Wednesday, July 24, as a part of the Marcus Center’s KidZ Days program, kids can learn how to breakdance for free. The class starts at 10 a.m. on the Marcus Center’s KidZ Stage, 929 N. Water St.
3. Meet with the Fire and Police Commission: Wednesday, July 24
The African American Civic Engagement Roundtable is hosting a community engagement session with the Fire and Police Commission on Wednesday, July 24. Milwaukee residents are invited to meet and ask questions to Griselda Aldrete, the executive director nominee for the Fire and Police Commission. The talk will be held in the Mason Temple Church, 6098 N. 35th St., and starts at 5:30 p.m.
4. Eat and walk through Alice’s Garden: Thursday, July 25
Alice’s Garden’s chef, Zakiyas Courtney, is preparing a vegan meal on Thursday, July 25. Lunch will be hosted in Alice’s Garden, 2136 N. 21st St., and costs $10. Carry-out is available. After lunch, guests are invited for a walk through the labyrinth.
5. Mom & me Make-A-Thon: Friday, July 26 and Saturday, July 27
Milwaukee Black Moms is hosting a free Make-A-Thon for parents and children at the Mitchell Street Public Library, 906 W. Historic Mitchell St., on Friday, July 26 and Saturday, July 27. Families can follow one of three project tutorials or create their own project. The event starts at 1:30 p.m. on Friday and at 4:30 p.m. on Saturday.
- 5 things to do and know the weekend of Sept. 25 - September 25, 2020
- NNS Spotlight: As America grapples with racist past, leader of America’s Black Holocaust Museum looks toward the future - September 24, 2020
- 5 things to do and know this week in Milwaukee: Sept. 21 to Sept. 26 - September 21, 2020