It’s Friday in Milwaukee, and here are some events that can enrich your weekend. If you would like your event to be considered for this column, please email email@example.com and put “5 things” in the subject line by noon Thursday.
1. #LiberateMKE lobbying training: Saturday, Sept. 7
The African American Civic Engagement Roundtable is inviting Milwaukee residents to learn how to lobby elected officials on Saturday, Sept. 7. The training will be at the Milwaukee Public Library Villard Square Branch, 5190 N. 35th St. It will start at 10:30 a.m. To RSVP, click here.
2. Be THEE Village: Community Talks: Saturday, Sept. 7
Rebuild You Incorporated is a local group of professionals whose main goal is to strengthen Milwaukee’s youth, especially young boys in the inner city. The group is hosting a community talk at Sherman Phoenix, 3536 W. Fond du Lac Ave., on Saturday, Sept. 7 at 11:30 a.m. Topics include the “importance of mentoring” and “protecting our youth.” Tickets are free, but guests are encouraged to RSVP.
3. “Men Who Cook” and bookbag giveaway: Saturday, Sept. 7
The Wisconsin Black Chamber of Commerce and My Father’s House are hosting the 20th annual “Men Who Cook” at McGovern Park Senior Center, 4500 W. Custer Ave., on Saturday, Sept. 7. The event is free and starts at 11 a.m. Food samples cost $1 and all proceeds go to My Father’s House. The first 100 children also receive a free book bag.
4. Cancer Disparities: A community conversation: Saturday, Sept. 7
The Medical College of Wisconsin Cancer Center is hosting a conversation about cancer disparities at America’s Black Holocaust Museum, 401 W. North Ave., on Saturday, Sept. 7. The event is free and open to everyone. It starts at 2 p.m.
Bonus: NNS at Silver City InterNational Fest: Saturday, Sept. 7 Did you miss your opportunity to get your photo taken in NNS’s living room set? Well fear not, because NNS will be stationed at Silver City InterNational Fest from noon to 2 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 7. Look for the infamous orange couch on West National Avenue between South 33rd and 35th streets. Hope to see you there!
- 5 things to do and know this week in Milwaukee: Nov. 23 to Nov. 28 - November 23, 2020
- 5 things to do and know the weekend of Nov. 20 - November 20, 2020
- NNS Spotlight: ‘We wouldn’t take a recess’: How the Southside Organizing Center presses on despite the pandemic - November 17, 2020