It’s Monday in Milwaukee, and here are some events we think you shouldn’t miss. If you would like your event to be considered for this column, please email email@example.com and put “5 things” in the subject line by noon Thursday.
1. DNC and Milwaukee committee organizers panel: Monday, Oct. 21
Carvd N Stone is hosting a community panel with organizers from the 2020 Democratic National Convention on Monday, Oct. 21. During the event, panelists will discuss convention plans, the expected impact on Milwaukee’s North Side and how youths can get involved. The panel will take place at the Silver Spring Neighborhood Center, 5460 N. 64th St., from 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
2. Walk-in flu clinic at Prospect Medical Commons: Tuesday, Oct. 22 and Thursday, Oct. 24
Ascension Wisconsin is hosting two walk-in flu clinics on Tuesday, Oct. 22 and Thursday, Oct. 24. The clinics will be held at the Prospect Medical Commons, 2311 N. Prospect Ave., from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. both days. Patients will be able to receive a flu shot during clinic hours.
3. Lecture on racial equity and economic justice in urban planning: Tuesday, Oct. 22
John A. Powell, an author and director of the Haas Institute for a Fair and Inclusive Society at the University of California at Berkeley, is giving a lecture titled “Racial equity and economic justice in urban planning practice and community building” on Tuesday, Oct. 22. The lecture will take place at the UWM School of Architecture and Urban Planning, 2131 E. Hartford Ave., in Room 170, from 7:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. The event is free. Click here to register.
4. Dia de los Muertos ofrenda exhibition: Wednesday, Oct. 23 to Friday, Nov. 22
Dia de los Muertos, or Day of the Dead, is fast approaching and Café con Arte and Latino Arts are starting the celebration on Wednesday, Oct. 23. Ofrendas from local and regional artists will be on display at Latino Arts, 1028 S. 9th St. The gallery is open Monday-Friday from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. with a suggested donation of $1.
5. Milwaukee County budget town hall meeting: Thursday, Oct. 24
Milwaukee residents are invited to participate in a town hall-style meeting, which will focus on the 2020 Milwaukee County budget, on Thursday, Oct. 24. County Supervisors Supreme Moore Omokunde and Sheldon Wasserman will be in attendance. The meeting will be held at the First Unitarian Society of Milwaukee, 1342 N. Astor St., from 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m.
Bonus: Safe & Sound’s Fall Festival of Fun: Thursday, Oct. 24 – Sunday, Oct. 27
Safe & Sound is hosting its annual Fall Festival of Fun starting Thursday, Oct. 24 through Sunday, Oct. 27. The festival’s featured night, Trunk-or-Treat, on Saturday, Oct. 26, includes a movie night with the MPD District 3. There will be games, face painting and more at Central City Churches, 3022 W. Wisconsin Ave., from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m., with the movie to start at 5:30 p.m. For the full schedule, click here.
- 5 things to do and know the weekend of Sept. 18 - September 17, 2020
- ‘This pandemic is still out here’: How families can prepare for fall and winter - September 16, 2020
- 5 things to do and know this week in Milwaukee: Sept. 14 to Sept. 19 - September 14, 2020