It’s Friday in Milwaukee, and here are some events that can enrich your weekend. If you would like your event to be considered for this column, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and put “5 things” in the subject line by noon Thursday.
1. AhVantSoul at Coffee Makes You Black: Friday, Jan. 3
AhVantSoul will be performing at Coffee Makes You Black, 2803 N. Teutonia Ave., from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Friday, Jan. 3. The band is known for its blend of classic soul, funk, jazz and rhythm and blues.
2. Hmong New Year celebration: Saturday, Jan. 4
Ascension Lutheran Church, 1236 S. Layton Blvd., is celebrating Hmong New Year from 11:30 a.m. to 9 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 4. Worship begins at 11:30 a.m., with the banquet to follow at 12:45 p.m. Everyone is welcome to join. There will be music, food and more.
3. Second annual Jibaro Fest: Saturday, Jan. 4
El Conquistador, Wisconsin’s Latino newspaper, is hosting its second annual Jibaro Fest from 7 p.m. to midnight Saturday, Jan. 4. Tickets cost $20 and benefit the annual Puerto Rican Family Festival. There will be food and musical performances. To purchase tickets, call (414) 383-1000.
4. Legal clinic on citizenship: Saturday, Jan. 4
The Mexican Consulate, 1443 N. Prospect Ave., is hosting a legal clinic on citizenship from 10 a.m. to noon Saturday, Jan. 4. The clinic is hosted by the law office of immigration attorneys Murrar, Oulahan, Rivas and Hochstatter. There will be a presentation regarding the process, cost and requirements of naturalization along with free consultations to review eligibility.
5. Snowshoeing at Mitchell Park: Sunday, Jan. 5
Friends of The Domes and the Riveredge Nature Center are hosting snowshoeing at Mitchell Park Milwaukee Domes, 524 S. Layton Blvd., from 1:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. Sunday, Jan. 5. All levels are welcome and a Riveredge Naturalist will be on site to help teach beginners and provide snowshoes. Tickets for members of Friends of the Domes or Riveredge Nature Center cost $9 and tickets for nonmembers cost $16, which includes The Domes’ admission fee.
- 5 things to do and know this week in Milwaukee: Sept. 21 to Sept. 26 - September 21, 2020
- 5 things to do and know the weekend of Sept. 18 - September 17, 2020
- ‘This pandemic is still out here’: How families can prepare for fall and winter - September 16, 2020