It’s Friday in Milwaukee, and here are some events that can enrich your weekend. If you would like your event to be considered for this column, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and put “5 things” in the subject line by noon Thursday.
1. Hmong American Women’s Association movement leader kick-off: Friday, Jan. 10
The Hmong American Women’s Association is kicking off its Movement Leaders’ Committee from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Friday, Jan. 10. The goal is to have community-minded individuals mingle with each other to discuss issues and opportunities facing the Milwaukee Southeast Asian communities. The meeting will take place at Velobahn Coffee & Cycle, 3618 W. Pierce St.
2. Youth summit on sex trafficking: Saturday, Jan. 11
Milwaukee youths are invited to attend a summit regarding sex trafficking and how to avoid getting caught in the game. The summit will take place at the Northside YMCA, 1350 W. North Ave., from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 11. The event is free and for youths between the ages of 11 and 17. There will be workshops and opportunities to hear from survivors of human trafficking. (Read our special report on the issue.)
3. MATC special spring enrollment day: Saturday, Jan. 11
MATC is hosting a special enrollment session from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 11. Those interested are encouraged to complete the FAFSA form and bring the necessary documents such as high school transcripts. The sessions will be held at all four campus locations: Downtown, 700 W. State St., Mequon, 5555 W. Highland Rd., Oak Creek, 6665 S. Howell Ave. and West Allis, 1200 S. 71st St. For questions call (414) 297-6228.
4. Coat giveaway for youths: Saturday, Jan. 11
The Taylor-Made Foundation will be giving away coats to Milwaukee youths starting at 1 p.m. Saturday, June 11 at the Sherman Phoenix, 3536 W. Fond du Lac Ave.
5. Winter family night: Saturday, Jan. 11
The Urban Ecology Center in Riverside Park, 1500 E. Park Place, is hosting a winter family night from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 11. There will be a puppet show, games, crafts and winter snacks. Registration is required. Tickets cost $14 for non-members and $10 for members.
- 5 things to do and know this week in Milwaukee: Sept. 21 to Sept. 26 - September 21, 2020
- 5 things to do and know the weekend of Sept. 18 - September 17, 2020
- ‘This pandemic is still out here’: How families can prepare for fall and winter - September 16, 2020