It’s Friday in Milwaukee, and here are some events that can enrich your weekend. If you would like your event to be considered for this column, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and put “5 things” in the subject line by noon Thursday.
1. Timbuktu Art Colony Sarge at Coffee Makes You Black: Friday, Jan. 17 to Sunday, Jan. 19
Timbuktu Art Colony will be at Coffee Makes You Black, 2803 N. Teutonia Ave., starting at 8 a.m. Friday, Jan. 17. Timbuktu Art Colony was founded by Henry Baba Osageyfo Colby, who is known for his handmade jewelry. In addition to purchasing pieces, there will also be opportunities to learn about jewelry making.
2. #MKEmovementArt at Walker’s Point Center for the Arts: Friday, Jan. 17
Walker’s Point Center for the Arts, 839 S. 5th St., is celebrating #MKEmovementArt from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. Friday, Jan. 17. In collaboration with Public Allies and Leaders Igniting Transformation, the event will examine how art has been used throughout history as a tool for communication, positive change and awareness of social issues. The exhibit will be on view through Friday, Feb. 28 and features artists such as Freedom Kilombo, Oscar Quinto Zamudio, Aline Morales and more.
3. Gallery night in Amani and Metcalfe Park: Friday, Jan. 17
Imagine MKE will be highlighting artists from Amani and Metcalfe Park neighborhoods during Gallery Night. Artists will be featured from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. at the Center Street Library, 2727 W. Fond du Lac Ave. and the Atkinson Street Library, 1960 W. Atkinson Ave., and from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. at the Wisconsin Black Historical Society, 2620 W. Center St.
4. 2020 Wisconsin women’s march: Saturday, Jan. 18
Women Rising, the 2020 women’s march, is taking place from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 18. The march, which is hosted by the Women’s March of Wisconsin, will be held in the auditorium at South Division High School, 1515 W. Lapham Blvd. The doors open at 10:30 a.m. and parking is limited. Signs are encouraged.
5. Hip-hop karaoke at the Sherman Phoenix: Saturday, Jan. 18
The Juice Kitchen is hosting a hip hop karaoke night at the Sherman Phoenix, 3536 W. Fond du Lac Ave., from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 18.
Bonus: Gallery night in Walker’s Point: Friday, Jan. 17
The Underground Collaborative Gallery will be exhibiting artwork at the Grove Gallery, 832 S. 5th St., from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. Friday, Jan. 17. The collaborative consists of eight artists who work in various mediums. There will be paintings, photography, wood work and raku pieces.
Bonus: Black Out at Sherman Phoenix: Saturday, Jan. 18
The Sherman Phoenix, 3536 W. Fond du Lac Ave., is hosting its first Black Out of 2020. The Black Out will take place from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 18. Local vendors will be featured and there will be food, music and family fun.
- 5 things to do and know the weekend of Sept. 25 - September 25, 2020
- NNS Spotlight: As America grapples with racist past, leader of America’s Black Holocaust Museum looks toward the future - September 24, 2020
- 5 things to do and know this week in Milwaukee: Sept. 21 to Sept. 26 - September 21, 2020