It’s Friday in Milwaukee, and here are some events that can enrich your weekend. If you would like your event to be considered for this column, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and put “5 things” in the subject line by noon Thursday.
1. Total wellness health fair: Saturday, Feb. 22
The Sherman Phoenix, 3536 W. Fond du Lac Ave., is hosting a total wellness health fair from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturday, Feb. 22. The fair is promoting financial, physical and mental health. The event is free. Services include breast cancer and prostate cancer screenings, 2020 voting services, energy assistance, VITA tax service and more.
2. College readiness day at Latino Arts: Saturday, Feb. 22
Latino/a Higher Education Network is hosting a free College Readiness Day for high school students. College Readiness Day will be hosted at Latino Arts, 1028 S. 9th St., from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Saturday, Feb. 22. The event will cover everything students need to know about getting ready for college from admissions to financial aid/scholarships. Marquette University, UW-Milwaukee, MATC and Carroll University will be there to help students apply. Students should bring their high school transcripts.
3. Leaders Igniting Transformation C-Space: Saturday, Feb. 22
Leaders Igniting Transformation is hosting a C-Space event for black and brown artists. The event will take place at the Leaders Igniting Transformation offices, 2201 N. Dr. Martin Luther King Drive, from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday, Feb. 22. This is a networking event and an opportunity to learn about creative projects as well as an opportunity to offer input on the C-Space logo. To register, click here.
4. HOOPS portrait session: Saturday, Feb. 22
Last year, LUNA displayed a gallery of local Milwaukeeans proudly wearing their hoop earrings. The HOOPS project is continuing into 2020. There will be a free portrait session at the LUNA pop-up store and studio, 1037 S. Cesar E. Chavez Drive, from noon to 3 p.m. on Saturday, Feb. 22. The event is open to the community. Those interested in having their portrait taken should wear a black top, jeans or dark bottoms, accessories (if they choose) and hoop earrings.
5. Candlelight hike on the Hank Aaron State Trail: Saturday, Feb. 22
The Urban Ecology Center and Friends of Hank Aaron are hosting a candlelight hike on the Hank Aaron State Trail from 5:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. on Saturday, Feb. 22. The hike is two miles long and will go through Three Bridges Park. There will be hot chocolate and other winter activities. For the full list, click here.
- 5 things to do and know this week in Milwaukee: Sept. 28 to Oct. 3 - September 28, 2020
- 5 things to do and know the weekend of Sept. 25 - September 25, 2020
- NNS Spotlight: As America grapples with racist past, leader of America’s Black Holocaust Museum looks toward the future - September 24, 2020