It’s Monday in Milwaukee, and here are some events we think you shouldn’t miss. If you would like your event to be considered for this column, please email email@example.com and put “5 things” in the subject line by noon Thursday.
1. Love Your Block MKE grant info sessions: Monday, March 2 to Wednesday, March 4
Love Your Block MKE is giving nine neighborhoods in Milwaukee mini-grants of up to $1,000. The money will help fund a project on a vacant city-owned lot within certain boundaries. Love Your Block MKE is hosting three informational sessions: Martin Luther King Library, 310 W. Locust St., from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. on Monday, March 2; Washington Park Library, 2121 N. Sherman Blvd., from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. on Tuesday, March 3; and Mitchell Street Library, 906 W. Historic Mitchell St., from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. on Wednesday, March 4. The deadline to apply for the grant is Wednesday, April 1.
2. EXPO monthly meeting: Tuesday, March 3
Ex-Incarcerated People Organizing or EXPO, is hosting a meeting from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. on Tuesday, March 3 at 2821 N. Vel Phillips Ave. Sumayyah and Nyla Al-Mujaahid and Yolanda Perkins will be giving presentations on topics pertaining to voting.
3. Victory Garden Initiative spring cleaning: Wednesday, March 4
The Victory Garden Initiative, 249 E. Concordia Ave., is looking for volunteers to help with some spring cleaning from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. on Wednesday, March 4. The group has plans to unveil a new kitchen and community space. Volunteers will have an opportunity to see the renovated space firsthand.
4. “Women Rising: Celebrating a decade of women”: Friday, March 6
In honor of International Women’s Day, Freedom Road Socialist Organization is hosting “Women Rising: Celebrating a decade of women leading struggle.” The event will take place at Village Church, 130 E. Juneau Ave., from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. on Friday, March 6. There will be a discussion as the group takes a look back at the female leaders from the last decade.
5. Fight for Air climb: Saturday, March 7
The American Lung Association is hosting its annual Fight for Air climb at the U.S. Bank Center, 777 E. Wisconsin Ave., from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturday, March 7. The funds go toward research to help those with lung disease. To register, click here. Participants will climb the 47 floors or 1,034 steps of the U.S. Bank Center.
- 5 things to do and know the weekend of Dec. 4 - December 4, 2020
- UPDATED: Holiday events 2020: The holiday spirit lives on during the pandemic - December 4, 2020
- NNS Spotlight: She’s writing a new chapter for Black-owned bookstores in Milwaukee - December 3, 2020