Editor’s note: Posts from the Community is the place for community announcements and event postings. If you have a community-oriented event you feel our readers would be interested in, please submit here.
The United Nations Association of Greater Milwaukee invites you to…
Redistributing or “Defunding” the Milwaukee Police Department Budget: What is being asked by community groups and why?
A Virtual Zoom Event on September 12th, 2020 from 10:00 – 11:00 AM
Advance registration is required.
Markasa Tucker, Director of the African American Roundtable at WI Voices, will provide an overview of the LiberateMKE campaign and what role local government and Milwaukee residents can play in the effort to achieve local safety. The AART is a non-profit coalition of community leaders and organizations that works to improve civic engagement with a focus on organizing people to build power.
• Over the last five years, the City of Milwaukee police budget has grown by over $70 million but do we feel safer? Every other department has seen little to no growth. We know that instead of police, we could invest in programs that address the root causes of poverty and violence, like jobs, public health, and housing.
• In calling for defunding the police department, is there a need to redefine public safety? What needs to be changed? What are the community resources needed to achieve healthy, vibrant, and safe neighborhoods?
Markasa joined AART in 2014 as office administrator but her grassroots organizing experience came after she was drawn to Red Arrow Park in Milwaukee after Dontre Hamilton was murdered by police. In 2019 she helped co-found the LiberateMKE campaign asking for investment in communities and an equitable city budget.
• She has a background in media relations including working on the assignment desks at WISN and CBS 58 and at 620 WTMJ as a radio producer. She is a former member of the National Association of Black Journalists and served as secretary and president of the Wisconsin Black Media Association.
• Markasa graduated Cum Laude with a BA Degree in Mass Communications from Grambling State University and is the president of the GSU Alumni – Milwaukee Chapter. She is the
founder of The Alternative, Inc., a Christian arts and community engagement organization.
For more information:
Contact Martha Collins at email@example.com or 414.435.6482
Advance registration is required. To register, go to:
If you have trouble registering, send an email to the UNA-GM at UNAMilwaukeewi@gmail.com
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email with information about joining the meeting.
The United Nations Association of The United States of America “…is dedicated to educating, inspiring, and mobilizing Americans to support the principles and vital work of the United Nations and its agencies.”
- Post from Community: Redistributing or “defunding” the Milwaukee Police Department Budget: What is being asked by community groups and why? - August 30, 2020
- “The Milwaukee Human Rights Celebration: Born Free & Equal, Now More than Ever!” Celebrating International Human Rights Day - December 3, 2018
- “A Celebration of International Women’s Day” - March 8, 2018