Milwaukee Health Department investigators observed several violations during lead renovation projects at Trowbridge Street School of Great Lakes Studies and three other MPS schools. (Photo by Julius Shieh) 

Lead safety advocates have called for the resignation of a Milwaukee Public Schools official following a state order of noncompliance related to lead renovation projects.

Lead-Safe Schools MKE, Get the Lead Out Coalition and Metcalfe Park Community Bridges seek the removal of Sean Kane, senior director of facilities and maintenance services at MPS.

Advertisement

On March 19, the state Department of Health Services issued a noncompliance order addressed to Kane, which listed multiple lead safety violations that occurred during renovation work at four MPS schools.

The violations include multiple and repeated instances of unsafe lead work and procedural failures that “created a condition that is an unreasonable risk to the health and safety of the children and staff attending MPS schools,” according to the noncompliance order.

The violations occurred at Kagel Elementary School, Maryland Avenue Montessori School, Trowbridge School of Great Lake Studies and Fernwood Montessori School.

Lisa Lucas, a member of Lead-Safe Schools MKE, said parents are frustrated with MPS’ failure to safely address lead contamination.

“Sean Kane has completely mismanaged this crisis,” Lucas said. “MPS needs to be doing a better job.”

Lucas’ daughter attends Fernwood Montessori School, where multiple violations occurred.

MPS declined a request for an interview, but said in a statement that officials “have established new accountability measures” as a part of a yet-to-be finalized lead action plan submitted to the Milwaukee Health Department on March 21.

The noncompliance letter stated that “MPS allowed children back into the work areas at Fernwood to attend class on March 11, 2025, while paint chip dust and debris from the previous night’s work was present.”

What happened at Milwaukee Public Schools?

Investigations conducted by the Milwaukee Health Department earlier this year found several lead poisoning cases that were caused by lead contamination at MPS buildings. Testing by the Health Department found lead levels at some schools measuring nearly 170 times higher than state safety thresholds.

Soon afterward, MPS began efforts to clean lead contamination across multiple classrooms and buildings. But in early March, findings of unsafe lead work caused a temporary closure at Trowbridge Street School of Great Lakes Studies.

Since then, MPS and the Health Department have also closed Starms Early Childhood Center, Fernwood Montessori and LaFollette School.

Contradicting reports

In a letter sent to families on March 19, MPS said that “remediation and subsequent cleaning are not occurring while students and staff are present.”

But investigations conducted by the Health Department at Trowbridge School indicated otherwise.

“There was work that was happening when the students were in the building,” said Michael Totoraitis, city health commissioner, during a news conference.

Melody McCurtis, deputy director and lead organizer at Metcalfe Park Community Bridges, said that MPS’ failure to follow lead safety rules was concerning.

“This crisis could have been avoided. It should have been avoided,” McCurtis said.

The Department of Health Services also found further issues related to the lead work, including improper cleaning after lead renovations, failure to post warning signs and evidence that some workers did not undergo lead-safe training and certification.

Some violations occurred multiple times, repeating even after MPS was notified of the issues.

“At the end of the day, the kids, staff and families should have been prioritized,” McCurtis said. “Our kids deserve way more than that.”

What happens now?

The Department of Health Services said in the noncompliance order that MPS would be required to follow lead-safe practices in the future.

Further enforcement steps will require the school district to notify both the Department of Health Services and city Health Department whenever lead renovation work occurs.

Parents also have asked for increased transparency and accountability.

Lead-Safe Schools MKE requested the release of more information by the Health Department about investigations, calling for records of all lead renovations that take place and data from interim and final clearance investigations.

“No matter where your kid goes to school, they deserve to be safe,” Lucas said. “I don’t want anybody’s child to be poisoned.”

Creative Commons License

Republish our articles for free, online or in print, under a Creative Commons license.