Milwaukee Habitat for Humanity has been named one of 14 “Affiliates of Distinction” by Habitat for Humanity International for its achievements and innovation in serving Milwaukee. This is the first year Milwaukee Habitat has been selected into this award program.
“To be recognized as amongst the ‘best of the best’ affiliates by Habitat International is a great honor.” said Brian Sonderman, executive director of Milwaukee Habitat. “The real reward is knowing that our community is benefiting from the hard work our volunteers, partner families, board of directors and staff put in every day.”
Since its founding in 1984, Milwaukee Habitat has served more than 800 families locally, through new construction houses, full-gut rehabs, and home repair projects. They have also helped to serve more than 1,400 families in developing countries through Habitat for Humanity International’s global “tithe” giving program. In 2015, the organization plans to provide affordable housing solutions for approximately 40 low-income families in Milwaukee.
Launched in 2013, Affiliates of Distinction was established by Habitat for Humanity International to honor U.S. affiliates that meet or exceed best-practice standards. Recipients maintain their recognition for two years, after which they reapply for the following award period.
The 2015-2017 awardees include:
- Austin Habitat for Humanity (Texas)
- Genesee County Habitat for Humanity (Michigan)
- Greater Des Moines Habitat for Humanity (Iowa)
- Habitat for Humanity Huron Valley (Michigan)
- Habitat for Humanity of Charlotte (North Carolina)
- Habitat for Humanity of East Bay/Silicon Valley (California)
- Habitat for Humanity of Greater Los Angeles (California)
- Habitat for Humanity of Greater San Francisco (California)
- Habitat for Humanity of Monroe County (Indiana)
- Habitat for Humanity Seattle-King County (Washington)
- Milwaukee Habitat for Humanity (Wisconsin)
- Our Town of North Mecklenburg-Iredell County (North Carolina)
- Portland/East Metro Habitat for Humanity (Oregon)
- Sacramento Habitat for Humanity (California)
The 14 Habitat affiliates were recognized during a special ceremony at Habitat’s biennial U.S. Affiliate Conference in March.
Habitat affiliates considered for the honor were reviewed by seven criteria: sustainable and green building; overall organizational leadership; community development; financial sustainability; alignment with Habitat for Humanity’s strategic plan; effective use of technology to better communication with the public; and support for Habitat’s global mission.
- Post from Community: Milwaukee Bucks and Sargento Foods’ “Tipoff for Homes” initiative raises $33,500 for affordable housing - July 28, 2020
- Post from Community: Milwaukee Habitat for Humanity launches Harambee neighborhood revitalization project with $1 million grant from Bader Philanthropies - December 19, 2019
- Recycled art exhibition promotes reuse for Earth Day - April 24, 2018