United Way of Greater Milwaukee & Waukesha County envisions a world where all individuals and families achieve their human potential through education, income stability and healthy lives. United Way advances the common good by recruiting people and organizations who bring the passion, expertise and resources needed to get things done. United Way’s global mission is to improve lives by mobilizing the caring power of communities to advance the common good. We invite you to be a part of the change – to Live United.
United Way is a recognized national brand and is the largest funder of health and human services outside of the federal government. Funds raised through UWGMWC remain local and are invested in nearly 220-plus programs at over 110 local nonprofit program partners.
Responsible for developing, managing effective public and media relations that enhance and protect the United Way brand. Develop and execute social media strategy in alignment with overall UWGMWC media relations plan. Utilize integrated storytelling techniques to tell the United Way story across a variety of communication channels. Share key messages and engage with news, digital, and social media stakeholders in a compelling and influential manner. Assist with the extensive writing needs of the organization for both internal and external audiences
KEY JOB FUNCTIONS
MEDIA AND PUBLIC RELATIONS
- Build and develop strong relationships with media (print, broadcast, web), key editors and reporters who cover topics related to non-profits; charitable investing; community needs and impact; and business philanthropy and leverage for maximum organizational visibility.
- Proactively manage story research, writing and providing of creative story ideas; Write or oversee strong press materials, including press releases, pitch letters and media alerts.
- Responsible for monitoring daily news from several sources. Leverage current news to raise awareness of all United Way-related issues.
- Position self and United Way as a resource for media on industry trends, regulations and cutting edge opportunities.
- Increase quality and yield of media relationships, coverage and outreach, interview opportunities, staff visibility, etc.
- Establish measurement criteria to gauge success of public/media relations efforts. Effectively communicate results to key internal and external clients upon completion of audience specific public relations campaigns.
- Develop strategies to identify and spearhead activities/events that maximize visibility, media outreach and press collateral to promote United Way’s brand and leadership.
- Participate in the development of strategies to diffuse issues that could potentially damage the United Way reputation and brand.
- Act as UW representative on Marketing Committee for LIHF Initiative for Healthy Families.
- Assist with Community Initiative Marketing and Public/Media Relations efforts as assigned.
- Assist with Podcast production and promotion; content idea generation and promotion of finished product on blog and social media.
- Executes social media strategy, ensuring daily content generation is in alignment with overall UWGMWC media relations plan; responsible for posting to, monitoring of all social media sites.
- Dictate the UWGMWC brand message to all social media channels.
- Absorb everything that’s happening in UWGMWC’s multiverse on a daily basis and turn it into social sharable content in a timely and relevant manner.
- Proactively monitor and respond to online conversations and issues; engaging senior staff, agencies partners as needed.
- Identify emerging technologies and services that can help drive more social engagement and donor engagement.
- Have knowledge, understanding, and compliance with all branding, voice and tone, and UWGMWC marketing initiatives.
- Assist with United Way Worldwide digital engagement collaborative – social media strategy and execution.
- Write or manage specific marketing and communications materials as defined by VP and/or Director of Marketing & Communications.
- Assist with copy writing for collateral and advertising in collaboration with Digital Marketing Manager.
- Develop research-based message strategies and key messages, including targeted messages
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES This job has no direct supervisory responsibilities.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree from four-year college or university with emphasis in journalism, public relations, communications.
- Three to four years directly related experience.
- Advanced coursework in related disciplines and two years of United Way or non-profit experience preferred.
- Demonstrated success in customer service excellence, project management, problem-solving, and working with, training and motivating a diverse constituency.
- Experience launching and maintaining media visibility for new or enhanced brand.
- Demonstrated knowledge of public relations, media relations, and marketing concepts.
- Must be able to write in a manner that engages the intended audience regardless of collateral or medium.
- Creative and results-oriented self-starter. Poise and polish that create a sense of credibility in all communications and interactions and enable serving as the internal and external United Way representative.
- Ability to develop public relations, media relations and marketing strategies that enhance United Way competitiveness in the charitable giving market and align with M&C division and overall United Way goals.
- Knowledge of audiovisual and electronic forms of communication such as films, slides and videotape.
- Proven ability to work well in a deadline driven and fast-paced environment, balancing strategic concerns with day to day activities.
- Accepted leader with ability to establish and cultivate good working relationships with a variety of publics.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Ability to use computer applications such as MS Office, Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, internet, and marketing/graphic related programs. Illustrator, Quark or In Design experience preferred.
- Ability to apply word processing and database management software concepts to practical situations.
For further job criteria and complete details, click on: https://www.milwaukeejobs.com/j/23185192. If you meet or exceed job requirements, please apply directly at this web address today. Please indicate salary requirements.
Equal Opportunity Employer
- Post from Community: United Way & Employ Milwaukee receive Deloitte grant to enhance growth industry employment for African-American men - October 29, 2020
- Post from Community: Goodwill, ManpowerGroup and United Way to offer free virtual workshops for job seekers - October 9, 2020
- Post from Community: United Way of Greater Milwaukee & Waukesha County to focus on reducing barriers to employment & advancement in 2020 campaign - September 7, 2020