United Way of Greater Milwaukee & Waukesha County (UWGMWC) has a rare opportunity for a Director of Communications, reporting to the Vice President, Community Impact, who is responsible to the Chairperson of the Marketing & Communications Committee and the Board of Directors:
- Develops and executes a long-range communications plan for the entire organization that advances the strategic goals of UWGMWC, including product education and impact, support for grant applications;
- Public and media relations, volunteer engagement and community outreach;
- Oversees and leverages United Way Worldwide’s efforts locally, as appropriate.
United Way is a recognized national brand and is the largest funder of health and human services outside of the federal government. Funds raised through United Way of Greater Milwaukee & Waukesha County remain local and are invested in nearly 220-plus programs at over 110 local nonprofit program partners.
KEY JOB FUNCTIONS
- Provide leadership in the strategic planning and execution of all internal and external communications efforts of UWGMWC in its mission to address the community’s health and human services needs. Set the organizational tone and voice overseeing all copy, writing, editing, and production of a variety of communication tools for multiple audiences both externally and internally across the organization. These include, but are not limited to: public relations efforts including media relations and social media, talking points, key messaging, correspondence, electronic communication and crisis management.
- Create compelling, emotional stories that inspire and motivate others to engage with United Way.
- Oversee the development and pitching of compelling stories of UWGMWC’s impact to media and lead media relations strategy for the organization including development of trusting relationships with reporters and sector influencers in order to advance United Way’s story of community leadership and impact.
- Promote UWGMWC by communicating its mission and impact while enhancing its image among key constituent groups locally and throughout the United Way Worldwide system.
- In collaboration with Director of Marketing, develop strategy for communicating and marketing all of UWGMWC’s work, including especially key community impact work and opportunities to engage. Lead efforts here to develop results-changing public awareness campaigns.
- In collaboration with the Director of Marketing, manage volunteer recruitment and involvement of Marketing and Communications committee members, along with related responsibilities to the Community Campaign Co-Chairs, Volunteer Engagement Committee, and other United Way volunteers as needed.
- Serve as one of the organization’s spokespeople ensuring that media relations program is aligned with brand image and community impact and engagement strategies including news releases, media interaction and story development.
- Leadership and support of Salesforce Philanthropy Cloud content needs.
- Coordinate with other United Way markets on messaging needs for shared customers.
- Oversee strategy and development of talking points, media releases, event scripting, sponsorship proposals, and other key correspondence, including assistance with grant proposals.
- Conduct presentations to key internal and external stakeholders including support of RD team in training key volunteers like the Speakers Bureau.
- Serve as a strong, engaged ambassador in the community.
- Oversee and leverage United Way Worldwide’s efforts for local market integration.
- Keep current on local, regional, and national issues that could have an impact on UWGMWC.
- Perform full range of leadership and managerial responsibilities which may include but not be limited to: interviewing, hiring, coaching and developing employees; planning, assigning and directing work; performance and project management; and, in collaboration with the VP of Community Impact, budgeting and vendor transaction approvals. Also responsible for leading and supporting interns and volunteers.
DIRECT REPORTS (3)
PR and Social Media Specialist; Digital Media and Communications Specialist; Community Initiatives Marketing Specialist, plus volunteers and interns.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in communications, marketing, or related discipline.
- Minimum five (5) years related communication experience with demonstrated achievement in a competitive environment; management experience preferred.
- Strong vision and strategic thinking abilities that address integrated, short- and long-term organization needs.
- Demonstrated brand management skills.
- Ability to develop strategic alliances in the community and with United Way Worldwide and its membership.
- Experience managing, collaborating with and inspiring volunteers.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the Greater Milwaukee marketing including media communities, philanthropic environment, and corporate landscape.
- Leadership and team building skills, including coaching, negotiation, problem solving, and decision-making skills.
- Strong oral, written, and presentation skills
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with Board of Directors and other volunteers, staff, media, marketing community, community groups, plus customers and agency program partners.
LANGUAGE SKILLS Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Ability to write speeches and articles for publication that conform to prescribed style and format. Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups and/or boards of directors.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Good understanding of group dynamics and group facilitation skills. Experience in working with diverse populations. Ability to prioritize and balance competing demands. Ability to work in a complex environment using technical and interpersonal skills. Ability to apply database management software concepts to practical situations. Proficient with computer applications such as MS Office, Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, ANDAR (donor database), and Internet desired.
REASONING Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to sit. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; and use hands to finger, handle or feel. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. Able to drive reliable vehicle to meetings, appointments and events.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
For further job criteria and complete details, click on: https://www.milwaukeejobs.com/j/33039733. If you meet or exceed job requirements, please apply directly at this web address today. Please indicate salary requirements.
Equal Opportunity Employer