The City of Milwaukee has been named a semi-finalist for the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation’s (RWJF) 2019 Culture of Health Prize. The nationally-prestigious award is given annually to 10 winning communities committed to health, opportunity, and equity through collaboration and inclusion, recognizing that where we live profoundly affects our health and well-being. The City of Milwaukee’s public/private partnerships and the important public health work happening at the neighborhood level on a variety of impactful initiatives over the past years positioned Milwaukee to be considered a strong semi-finalist for the award. Some of those accomplishments include:
- The creation of the Environmental Collaboration Office’s award-winning HOME GR/OWN initiative which focuses on catalyzing Milwaukee’s community food system, fostering green jobs and economic development through the local food supply chain.
- The transformation of over 50 vacant lots into healthy green spaces including pocket parks, orchards, gardens, and playgrounds.
- The important public health, healthy food access and neighborhood quality of life work done daily by organizations like Sixteenth Street Health Center and Fondy Food Center.
- The most notable development of Fondy Park and the Fondy Farmer’s Market, the largest farmers market on Milwaukee’s north side.
- The expansion of workforce development efforts in the communities where green spaces were built through a partnership with the Zilber Family Foundation’s Zilber Neighborhood Initiative, Walnut Way, Riverworks, Groundwork Milwaukee and various other non-government organizations.
- The Zilber Neighborhood Initiative’s 10 years of investment in its target neighborhoods has allowed for increased alignment of resources to advance health and community improvement efforts.
The winning communities will be awarded a $25,000 cash prize and receive national promotion of their accomplishments. There are two more phases in the selection process and winners will be announced Fall 2019.
Learn more about the RWJF 2018 Culture of Health Prize: rwjf.org/en/library/funding-opportunities/2018/2019-rwjf-culture-of-health-prize.html
Leave a Reply