Right now, through April 10, 2019 the public can learn and vote for outstanding community projects in Milwaukee. The Wells Fargo People’s Choice Award is an online voting campaign highlighting 10 projects and 2 leaders selected by a volunteer Selection Committee. Three People’s Choice Award winners will be announced at the Milwaukee Awards for Neighborhood Development Innovation on April 11, 2019, at the Potawatomi Hotel and Casino. Winners will receive $1,000 and the Wells Fargo People’s Choice Award.
The Milwaukee Awards for Neighborhood Development Innovation (MANDIs) recognize individuals, organizations, and projects that enrich Milwaukee neighborhoods. The awards pay tribute to the people and organizations working tirelessly to make Milwaukee a great place to live, learn, work and grow.
The online voting campaign will run from March 25- April 10, 2019. The voting site will be hosted by Urban Milwaukee at http://urbanmilwaukee.com/mandivote. The top three entries will each receive $1,000. Each entry is featured with an article and video on the voting site.
Since 1999, LISC Milwaukee has hosted the Milwaukee Awards for Neighborhood Development Innovation (MANDI). The MANDIs highlight the unsung heroes working hard to revitalize Milwaukee’s most distressed urban neighborhoods. This Oscar-style event is attended by 800 civic leaders including neighborhood residents, nonprofits, private sector leaders, and elected officials. The MANDIs have grown into the premier event for the community development world, and it tells the much-needed story of what’s positive in Milwaukee’s neighborhoods. The MANDI Selection Committee includes a panel of 40 volunteers.
Hosted by US Bank, the MANDIs will be held on Thursday, April 11, 2019, at the Potawatomi Event Center. A cocktail hour will be held from 4:30-5:30pm followed by dinner and awards from 5:30-7:30pm. The evening will close with a music by DJ Shawna and desserts from 7:30-9:00pm.
MANDI 2019 Finalists (Descriptions Follow)
The “Brewers Community Foundation Public Space Award” recognizes a public space that helps build the community. Finalists include:
- Multi-Sport Complex at Browning Elementary and Silver Spring Neighborhood Center
- Washington Park Neighbors for Washington Park Wednesdays
The “BMO Harris Cornerstone Award” recognizes an organization for their commitment and effectiveness over time. Finalists include:
- CORE El Centro
- Running Rebels Community Organization
The “Northern Trust Navigator Award” recognizes an individual for leadership and collaboration. Finalists include:
- Carol Esswein, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
- Susan Lloyd, Zilber Family Foundation
The “Associated Bank Trail Blazer Award” recognizes an innovative approach to a community problem. Finalists include:
- MATC Promise
- PeppNation Sports Leadership Camps MKE
The “State Farm Building Blocks Award” recognizes a real estate project that advances the community. Finalists include:
- Turnkey Renovation Program-Layton Boulevard West Neighbors
- Welford Sanders Historic Lofts and Enterprise Center
The “Chase Economic Development Award” recognizes a program that stimulates economic and business development. Finalists include:
- Blue Skies Landscaping
- Rev-Up MKE
- Post from Community: Beerline Trail equitable implementation plan wins prestigious Spark Award from the American Planners Association Wisconsin Chapter - November 25, 2020
- Post from Community: Theodore Lipscomb named to top job at LISC Milwaukee to expand economic development investments, deepen response to COVID-19 - July 7, 2020
- Post from Community: Grants and loans to support Milwaukee small businesses from LISC Milwaukee - May 21, 2020