It’s Monday in Milwaukee, and here are some events we think you shouldn’t miss. If you would like your event to be considered for this column, please email email@example.com and put 5 things in the subject line by noon Friday.
1. ACTS Housing investment announcement: Monday, May 13
For the past several years, ACTS Housing has been on a fundraising campaign that has raised $2.1 million. ACTS Housing works with families struggling with financial or language barriers and plans to invest $1.3 million in loans toward families. At 4:30 p.m. Monday, community leaders, philanthropists and business leaders will meet to celebrate and discuss the investment at the housing office, 2414 W. Vliet St.
2. Downtown Bridge closed until 2020: All week
Last week, the Michigan Street Vertical Lift Bridge over the Milwaukee River was closed for rehabilitation. The project will upgrade the structure, add traffic barrier railings, a new bike path and more. Construction will be completed in spring of 2020 and, in the meantime, traffic will be rerouted to E. Wisconsin Avenue and N. Water Street.
3. Vegan burger workshop: Thursday, May 16
Tricklebee Café, 4424 W. North Ave, will teach participants how to make homemade vegan burgers as part of its Healthy Choices Workshop. Trasus Wright will lead the class, which begins at 5 p.m. Thursday. The event is free, and all are welcome to a pay-what-you-can community dinner afterward.
4. MATC spring commencement: Friday, May 17
About 1,400 students will graduate during Milwaukee Area Technical College’s Spring Commencement Ceremony at 6 p.m. Friday at the UWM Panther Arena, 400 W. Kilbourn Ave. Joe Delgadillo, a retired businessman and MATC alumnus, will present the keynote address and receive MATC’s Distinguished Alumnus Award.
5. Ex Fabula: Season 10 Final Story Slam ALL STARS: Saturday, May 18
Ex Fabula’s 10th season is coming to end with its final StorySlam. This year’s theme is “Forgiveness.” All season long, audience members have voted for their favorite storytellers who will now compete for the Season 10 audience favorite. The event starts at 6:30 p.m. at the Turner Hall Ballroom, 1040 Vel R. Phillips Ave. Tickets can be purchased in advance for $12 and $15 at the door.
- 5 things to do and know this week in Milwaukee: Nov. 30 to Dec. 5 - November 30, 2020
- 5 things to do and know the weekend of Nov. 27 - November 27, 2020
- 5 things to do and know this week in Milwaukee: Nov. 23 to Nov. 28 - November 23, 2020