It’s Friday in Milwaukee, and here are some events that can enrich your weekend. If you would like your event to be considered for this column, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and put “5 things” in the subject line by noon Thursday.
1. Grand opening of “Evicted” exhibit: Friday, June 21
The grand opening of “Evicted,” an exhibition based on Matthew Desmond’s Pulitzer Prize-winning book, takes place from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. Friday, June 21 at the. Mobile Design Box, 753 N. 27th St. The exhibit is free to the public and will be on display through Sept. 30. The experience presents data developed by Desmond’s Eviction Lab and features original photography and audio examining reasons for and the fallout from eviction. Click here to register.
2. FunFest at UMOS: Saturday, June 22
Join UMOS, 2701 S. Chase Ave., for its FunFest. Admission is free, and food, drink and resources will be provided. The festivities begin at noon Saturday, June 22. For more information, contact Carmen Lerma at (414) 389-6002 or email@example.com.
3. Milwaukee Youth Expo: Saturday, June 22
Milwaukee youths are invited to Voices Against Violence Coalition’s Youth Expo at North Division High School, 1011 W. Center St., on Saturday, June 22. The expo will focus on five areas, including CPR, violence prevention and mental health. To register click here. The expo runs from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
4. Project Clean & Green Drug Take Back: Saturday, June 22
Residents with old medicine can safely dispose of them at the Salem Lutheran Church, 6840 N. 107th St., on Saturday, June 22. The Drug Take Back event is a part of Project Clean & Green and goes from 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. It is sponsored by MPD District 4. Click here to learn more about how you can take back unused medicine any day of the year
5. Bike ride with Ald. Ashanti Hamilton and Ald. Khalif Rainey: Saturday, June 22
Milwaukee residents are invited to join Ald. Ashanti Hamilton and Ald. Khalif Rainey on a bike ride through the 1st and 7th Districts of the Milwaukee Promise Zones. The ride will start at Garden Homes Park, 2600 W. Atkinson Ave., at 1:30 p.m. on Saturday, June 22, and include a stop at the Sherman Phoenix. For more details, contact Sarah Bregant at (414) 444-8200, ext. 8104 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Click here to register.
- 5 things to do and know the weekend of Sept. 25 - September 25, 2020
- NNS Spotlight: As America grapples with racist past, leader of America’s Black Holocaust Museum looks toward the future - September 24, 2020
- 5 things to do and know this week in Milwaukee: Sept. 21 to Sept. 26 - September 21, 2020