The Milwaukee Neighborhood News Service is looking for a part-time multimedia reporter who is ready to set the journalism world on fire.
Help us cover Milwaukee’s diverse central city neighborhoods and, most important, the people who live in them.
Are you a self-starter? Can you juggle several stories at once? Are you passionate about telling stories about people and issues other media ignore or under-report? And can you do all of this in a collaborative, creative nonprofit newsroom that is relentless in serving its audience? If you answered yes to all these questions, then the Milwaukee Neighborhood News Service could be a fit for you.
We are an award-winning, evidence-based news organization housed in the Diederich College of Communication at Marquette University. We are editorially independent from the university and have a paid part-time staff of five and a brilliant cohort of community volunteers and student interns. Our work is regularly republished in local media, including Urban Milwaukee and OnMilwaukee. In addition, we have partnerships with WTMJ (Channel 4), the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, WUWM-FM (89.7) and The Associated Press, where our work regularly reaches audiences across the state and the nation. We champion great journalism and believe in “proceeding until apprehended.”
The successful candidate will have the following traits and experiences:
- A strong work ethic
- Curiosity about our neighborhoods
- Ability to meet fast-paced deadlines
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to write and report
- An obsession with accuracy
- A belief in our mission and values
- Multimedia skills (proficiency in audio, video, photography preferred)
- Fluency in social media
- A lifelong learner
- Demonstrated journalism experience
- Knowledge of Milwaukee and issues that resonate with our readers
This position is for 15 to 20 hours a week.
Want more information?
Our editor shares his vision for NNS.
See us on WTMJ (Channel 4).
Hear us on WUWM-FM (89.7).
Here’s what is needed for the application:
- A resume
- At least three samples of your work
- Write a 500-word obituary of yourself
- In 300 words, critique NNS. What do you like? What don’t you like? And how would you make us better?
- Pitch two stories you would cover immediately if hired. Please tell us why you chose them and why you think we would be interested.
Please email your application to email@example.com and put “NNS Job” in the subject line. And please share with your friends. We are looking for someone who wants to make a difference in Milwaukee. Our readers deserve nothing but the best.
- Help us continue to showcase the beautiful people of Milwaukee - December 31, 2019
- Proceeding until apprehended: Inside the NNS newsroom - November 18, 2019
- We’re hiring: NNS seeks part-time multimedia reporter - August 27, 2019