Editor’s note: Our Posts from the Community feature is a platform for community announcements and event postings. If you have a post to be considered, send it to firstname.lastname@example.org or submit it directly.
With the recent mailing of new assessment notices to Milwaukee property owners, we have received numerous inquiries about increases in the assessed value of properties across the city. We are also concerned, and the City Assessor is expected to appear in a matter of days before a Council committee to explain the process and answer questions from Council members.
In the meantime, it is important for property owners who believe their new assessment is off base to be aware of the assessment appeals process. Property owners can contact the Assessor’s Office to file an objection and have until May 18th to do so.
Step 1: Contact the Assessor’s Office:
Web: Ask the Assessor
Phone: (414) 286-6565
Monday – Friday 8:00AM – 4:45PM
This number is only available April 27-May 18, 2020
Step 2: Fill out an appeals form. All appeals forms must be filled out in full. Please include a telephone number and/or email address on fully completed form.
The statutory deadline to return appeals form(s) is 4:45 pm, Monday May 18, 2020.
Appeals forms can be returned by:
- Email: email@example.com
- U.S. Mail:
- City of Milwaukee Assessor’s Office 200 E. Wells St., Room 507 Milwaukee, WI 53202
- Drop Box:
- City of Milwaukee Assessor’s Office
Milwaukee City Hall, 5th Floor 200 E. Wells St., Room 507
NOTE: Evidence must be included with your appeal, and that can include a copy of a recent appraisal for your property and/or a recent market analysis completed by a real estate agent. For commercial properties, appeals should include an income and expense statement for the property. Interior and exterior photos are also examples of evidence.
- Post from Community: Property assessments can be appealed – important information for residential and commercial property owners - April 30, 2020
- Roy B. Evans, Venice Williams named winners of the 2019 Frank P. Zeidler Public Service Award - September 23, 2019
- Important state employment opportunities information from the Common Council and City Clerk - November 30, 2018