Editor’s note: Posts from the Community is the place for community announcements and event postings. If you have a community-oriented event you feel our readers would be interested in, please submit here.
Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Milwaukee (BGCGM) has made the decision to extend its meal distribution program. The program was slated to end July 27, but with the announcement that Milwaukee school students will be learning remotely to begin the 2020-’21 school year, many students’ access to nutrition will be restricted.
“Thousands of kids in Milwaukee won’t be able to rely on school and after school programs to supplement their nutritional needs, and the pandemic has only exacerbated the challenge some families face providing quality food to their families,” said BGCGM President and CEO, Kathy Thornton-Bias. “Boys & Girls Clubs will always remain committed to supporting those who need us most, especially in times of crisis.”
Families can visit one of the following BGCGM Clubs distributing meals every Monday from 11:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. or while supplies last. Each family is provided with three meals per day for seven days for each child 18 and under in their home for a total of 21 meals per child each week.
- Daniels-Mardak Club (4834 N. 35th St, Milwaukee, WI 53209)
- LaVarnway Club (2739 N. 15th St, Milwaukee, WI 53206)
- Don & Sallie Davis Club (1975 S. 24th St, Milwaukee, WI 53204)
Since the pandemic began in mid-March, BGCGM has distributed more than 220,000 meals. A new end-date for the program has not yet been determined.
In addition to meal distribution, BGCGM is also supporting Milwaukee’s youth with in-Club summer programming at several sites. Clubs are operating with reduced capacity and extensive safety protocols in place. Virtual programming is also available at bgcmilwaukee.org. These efforts are a reflection of BGCGM’s commitment to do whatever it takes to ensure kids in under-resourced Milwaukee communities thrive academically, socially, and personally, especially during challenging times.
- Post from Community: Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Milwaukee providing in-person academic support - September 23, 2020
- Post from Community: Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Milwaukee extends meal distribution program - August 3, 2020
- Post from Community: Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Milwaukee keeps safety top of mind as more clubs re-open - July 6, 2020