Editor’s note: Posts from the Community is the place for community announcements and event postings. If you have a community-oriented event you feel our readers would be interested in, please submit here.
United Way of Greater Milwaukee & Waukesha County announced the inaugural grants for their Safe & Stable Homes initiative. Beginning last August with their annual campaign, United Way set a goal to end family homelessness by 2025. Over $770,000 has already been raised, and this money will be used to support programs at nonprofit agencies focused on preventing family homelessness.
“We are so appreciative of everyone who made a donation to Safe & Stable Homes,” said Nicole Angresano, Vice President of Community Impact for United Way of Greater Milwaukee & Waukesha County. “We are especially grateful to three key sponsors, Brewers Community Foundation, Ascension Wisconsin, and ManpowerGroup. Their dollars are making an immediate impact in our community.”
“Brewers Community Foundation harnesses the pride, passion and commitment of our fans, players and other supporters to positively impact the community,” said Cecelia Gore, Executive Director, Brewers Community Foundation. “We recognize how critically important it is to end family homelessness and want to play a role in supporting United Way’s efforts. We are all on the same team and everyone needs to win!”
“United Way of Greater Milwaukee & Waukesha County is well positioned to tackle the interconnected social determinants of health in our community, like safe neighborhoods, good education, and affordable housing,” said Bernie Sherry, ministry market executive, Ascension Wisconsin. “We are proud to partner with United Way as part of our mission to deliver compassionate, personalized care to all, with special attention to persons living in poverty and those most vulnerable.”
“At ManpowerGroup, we truly believe sustainable and meaningful work has the power to change the world, and for many people that starts with having a safe place to call home,” said Nafessa Burdine, Community Investment & Sustainability Leader at ManpowerGroup. “That’s why we’re proud to support Safe and Stable Homes right here in Milwaukee – because every person deserves the security and opportunity this initiative brings”
The funding for Safe & Stable Homes is dedicated to ending family homelessness in Milwaukee, Ozaukee, Washington, and Waukesha counties. Year one’s priority is to prevent evictions through legal aid, financial assistance, and the creation of the Rental Housing Resource Center.
These are the thirteen programs that United Way will be funding in 2020-21:
- Advocates of Ozaukee, Inc. Homelessness Prevention Program
- Cathedral Center, Flexible Housing Program
- Community Advocates, Eviction Prevention & Housing Stabilization
- Community Advocates, Rental Housing Resource Center
- Family Promise of Waukesha County, Emergency Housing Fund
- FRIENDS, Inc. Transitional Living Program
- Hope House, Family Bonds Housing Program
- IMPACT, Inc., Rent & Utility Assistance
- Legal Action of Wisconsin, Eviction Defense Project
- Legal Aid Society of Milwaukee, Housing SOS
- Habitat for Humanity, Homeowner Foreclosure Prevention
- The Salvation Army – Wisconsin & Upper Michigan, Emergency Support for Families
- Wisconsin Veteran’s Network, Inc. (VetsNet), Housing Advocacy for Veteran Families in Waukesha, Washington, and Ozaukee Counties
“With the effects of COVID-19 disrupting the income of families living paycheck-to-paycheck, this funding could not have started at a more appropriate time,” said Angresano. “We know that ending family homelessness is possible, but it will take some time. We thank everyone for their ongoing support.”
For more information on the initiative, visit: UnitedWayGMWC.org/Safe-and-Stable-Homes
About United Way of Greater Milwaukee & Waukesha County: United Way of Greater Milwaukee & Waukesha County fights for the health, education, and financial stability of every person in our local community. We win by Living United.
- Post from Community: United Way of Greater Milwaukee & Waukesha County to focus on reducing barriers to employment & advancement in 2020 campaign - September 7, 2020
- Post from Community: ManpowerGroup and United Way partner on fifth annual Virtual Men’s Job Seminar - September 7, 2020
- Post from Community: United Way of Greater Milwaukee & Waukesha County Announces Inaugural Grants for Safe & Stable Homes Initiative - August 10, 2020