It’s Monday in Milwaukee, and here are some things we think you should know about as the nation grapples with the COVID-19 pandemic. If you would like your event to be considered for this column, please email email@example.com and put “5 things” in the subject line by noon Thursday.
1. Menomonee River Valley: Public art bike tour: Monday, Sept. 14 through Saturday, Sept. 19
Menomonee River Valley Week is happening all week long. Milwaukee residents can sign up for the public art bike tour, a self-guided tour that takes cyclists through the valley to see the various art pieces. The event is free and those interested can bring their own bikes or receive the Bublr Bike promo code when they sign up. The tour will be available from now until 9 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 19.
2. “Here to Stay: Braving Barriers Through Performance”: Monday, Sept. 14
The UWM Union Art Gallery is showcasing the work of several artists in “Here to Stay: Braving Barriers Through Performance.” The show features the work of Sami Hussain Ismat, Aram Han Siguentes and Jeanette Arellano and six UWM Peck School of the Arts students. The themes of the show are social justice, activism and immigration. The gallery will be available to view online until 11:59 p.m. on Monday, Sept. 14. It will remain on display through early October.
3. Mobile Legal Clinic: Expungement and pardon clinic: Wednesday, Sept. 16
The Milwaukee Justice Center’s Mobile Legal Clinic is hosting a free expungement and pardon clinic from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. on Wednesday, Sept. 16. The meetings will take place over Zoom. To schedule an appointment, call 414-278-2046 or fill out this request form. Click here to see the expungement and pardon clinic dates for the rest of the year.
4. Walnut Way’s “Real Men, Real Conversation”: Wednesday, Sept. 16
Walnut Way is continuing to host its “Real Men, Real Conversation” series. The conversations are taking place virtually over Zoom and the meeting ID is 265 549 127. This week’s meeting takes place from 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. on Wednesday, Sept. 16. The meeting will be facilitated by Kenneth Ginlack and cover topics relating to men’s wellness such as trauma, friendships and more. READ:
5. The People United for Justice: Rally for Don Emilio Garza: Friday, Sept. 18
The People’s Revolution and La Comunidad MKE are coming together for the People United for Justice rally. The rally will take place at the Mitchell Park Domes, 524 S. Layton Blvd., at 4 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 18. The group plans to demand justice for Don Emilio Garza, who was shot and killed earlier this month. It is also an opportunity to learn more about the injustices affecting the Black and brown residents.
Bonus: The latest coronavirus coverage from NNS
Milwaukee Neighborhood News Service reporters are hard at work bringing readers up-to-date information regarding coronavirus. Stay informed by following us on our Facebook page and subscribing to our daily newsletter. All coronavirus related articles can be found on this landing page. If you have a question or concern about coronavirus, send them in our way. We’re here to serve you.
- 5 things to do and know this week in Milwaukee: Sept. 28 to Oct. 3 - September 28, 2020
- 5 things to do and know the weekend of Sept. 25 - September 25, 2020
- NNS Spotlight: As America grapples with racist past, leader of America’s Black Holocaust Museum looks toward the future - September 24, 2020