Just like renters, some homeowners also are finding it hard to keep up with their finances during the pandemic.
Here are a few resources that can help.
Who can I call for financial or legal help if I’m worried about paying my mortgage?
- Legal Aid Society of Milwaukee: 414-727-5300
- Mediate Milwaukee: 414-939-8800
- Legal Action of Wisconsin: 855-947-2529
- Social Development Commission: 414-906-2700
Resources for homeowners:
Mediate Milwaukee offers mediation for tenants, landlords, homeowners and lenders to help work through conflicts and come to agreements. You can call them at 414-939-8800 or email them at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Legal Aid Society of Milwaukee can provide legal assistance to income-eligible tenants in dispute with landlords, as well as to homeowners. You can call them at 414-727-5300.
Metropolitan Milwaukee Fair Housing Council can help homeowners protect themselves from mortgage and foreclosure prevention scams, as well as from predatory home loans. You can call them at 414-278-1240.
Housing Resources Inc. can provide counseling to homeowners and has programs to help people prevent foreclosure. You can call them at 414-461-6330.
Wisconsin Housing and Economic Development Authority (WHEDA) Homeowner with a mortgage through WHEDA.
Federal loan programs: Those with federally or Government Sponsored Enterprise backed mortgages can find help here.
- If you think you are at risk of becoming homeless, you can always call 2-1-1or text your ZIP code to TXT-211 (898-211).
- Looking for more personalized direction to resources and information during the coronavirus crisis? Get connected with News414, a texting-based news resourcefrom Milwaukee NNS, Wisconsin Watch and Outlier Media. You can text MILWAUKEE to 73224 and begin to receive free, personalized data via text messages.