About Safe & Sound:
Safe & Sound, Inc. is a comprehensive, community-based response to crime and violence in the City of Milwaukee. Since 1998, Safe & Sound has been dedicated to improving safety in challenged Milwaukee’s neighborhoods. Our three-pronged strategy advances: (1) partnerships with law enforcement, (2) community organizing and (3) youth development. In 2011, we received a White House Champion of Change Award for our innovative approach to making neighborhoods safer. We unite residents, youth, law enforcement and community resources to build safe and empowered neighborhoods.
Under the direction of Safe & Sound’s executive director, the program director will be responsible for Safe & Sound’s community programs, taking a leadership role in designing, implementing, maintaining and improving programs; coordinating strategy and evaluation; and building partnerships and collaborations. The program director is tasked with hiring and coaching a professional and exceptional team.
The program director must function with sophistication, political savvy and community understanding, both internally and externally. S/he must be able to deliver and be a good steward of Safe & Sound strategies, representing the agency to staff and all external partners including residents, the Milwaukee Police Department, the District Attorney’s Office, departments of the City of Milwaukee, youth serving agencies, CBOs and other stakeholders.
The program director is also responsible for helping to foster a positive culture both within the agency and externally in the Milwaukee community. In addition to organizational leadership and supervision, s/he guides Safe & Sound’s strategic plan and ensures its implementation, suggests innovative plans and processes to improve program functions, works closely with all Safe & Sound co-workers to maintain high levels of accountability and communication and adheres to and demonstrates the six agency values of Support, Authenticity, Collaboration, Transparency, Integrity and Excellence.
• Must have a valid driver’s license, a vehicle, and automobile insurance. • Must be able to pass a criminal background check.
• Requires City of Milwaukee residence.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for the overall coordination and supervision of Safe & Sound programs including community organizing, youth organizing, neighborhood safety coordination, the Drug Free Coalition, as well as relevant field & support staff.
- Manage and supervise 15-20 program staff. Ensure that performance goals are met for all. Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. This includes directing the recruiting, hiring, evaluating and training processes as well as supporting and coaching staff.
- Manage program reporting and accountability. Monitor monthly reports and consolidate them for grant reporting purposes. Ensure program team is achieving qualitative and quantitative targets.
- Communicate agency requirements, needs, concerns, ideas and achievements with the Safe & Sound team and externally as needed.
- Build and strengthen relationships with key partners including the District Attorney’s Office, the Milwaukee Police Department, elected officials and partner organizations.
- Take a leadership role in strategic planning, program design, implementation and evaluation. Work effectively with the director of evaluation and technical assistance to support evaluation and TA efforts, as well as ensure evaluation results inform programming. Work with Safe & Sound teammates to research and develop best practices and resource materials.
- Collaborate and serve as the programs representative and technical contributor on Safe & Sound strategic development, public relations, website and communications. Work with the development team to support fundraising efforts. Help create grant proposals and reports, provide program information as needed to the development team.
- Attend and facilitate meetings, serving as an agency representative, both internally and externally as appropriate. Develop and provide presentations furthering the Safe & Sound mission and vision.
- Provide regular reports to the board of directors on Safe & Sound’s community programs.
- Work with the executive director to develop and monitor the program budget.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred; 5-8 years related experience and/or training in a setting that demonstrates the skills, knowledge and abilities needed to perform the above tasks; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Administrative and management experience. Five years of supervisory experience managing several programs. Experience in working with elected officials, law enforcement, neighborhood organizations, residents, churches. Extensive experience in developing and leading complex partnerships.
Ability to effectively utilize job-related software including, but not limited to, Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint and the internet development tools. Familiarity with social media and its uses is critical
Ability to write reports and business correspondence. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from staff, public officials, law enforcement, neighborhood residents, youth, adults, as well as staff of various community-based organizations. Effective public speaking and public relations skills required. Must be able to represent Safe & Sound to all of types of audiences.
OTHER SKILLS and ABILITIES:
Excellent communication skills and ability to work in a diverse and inclusive environment. Maintain confidentiality of written or verbal information. Knowledge of community issues, the Milwaukee community, and community organizations. Experience and ability to coordinate a large program; ability to administer a variety of projects at the same time; strategic planning in fluid internal and external environment required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Work will be performed in an office setting, in neighborhoods, at meetings. Required to work some evenings and weekends for meetings, projects, to accomplish assigned tasks, and to carry out management responsibilities.
Send cover letter, resume, salary history and three professional references with phone and e- mail contact information to Human Resources at email@example.com or mail to:
Safe & Sound, Inc.
Attn: Human Resources 801 W. Michigan Street Milwaukee, WI 53233
Application Deadline: May 15, 2019Did you like this story? Subscribe to NNS today.