It’s Friday in Milwaukee, and here are some events that can enrich your weekend. If you would like your event to be considered for this column, please email email@example.com and put “5 things” in the subject line by noon Thursday.
- The Women Gather: A ritual circle for community healers: Friday, May 24Community healers are invited to a ritual circle at Alice’s Garden, 2136 N. 21st St. The ritual circle will offer healers a chance to gain some stillness, truth, light and relief. It will begin at 6 p.m. Friday, May 24 and those interested are asked to bring a chair or blankets.
- LIT citywide meeting and BBQ: Friday, May 24
Leaders Igniting Transformation, better known as LIT, is celebrating its first year working with MPS students. Nearly 60 students from MPS met with elected officials at the Capitol in April. To celebrate, LIT will be hosting a barbecue starting at 11 a.m. Friday, May 24 in Gordon Park, 1321 E. Locust St. During the event, LIT plans to strategize and determine next year’s plan.
- The Marathon Continues: Saturday, May 25
Individuals throughout Milwaukee are gathering at Gee’s Clippers Barber and Beauty Salon, 2200 N. Dr. Martin Luther King Dr. to walk in solidarity against violence in Milwaukee. The event will begin at 10 a.m. Saturday, May 25 and will honor the work of the late rapper, entrepreneur and activist Nipsey Hussle.
- Natural Hair Fest Milwaukee: Saturday, May 25
Natural Hair Fest USA is hosting a festival at the Hyatt Regency Milwaukee, 333 W. Kilbourn Ave. The event begins at 10 a.m. Saturday, May 25 and tickets can be purchased here. All are invited to celebrate and learn about natural hair.
- Fourth Soul Food Sunday: Sunday, May 26
Milwaukeeans are invited to indulge in some soul food at Mr. J’s Lounge, 4610 W. Fond du Lac Ave. The event takes place from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. Sunday, May 26. The food will be served buffet style, but to-go orders are welcome. For $15, guests can enjoy chicken, ribs, green beans, dressing and more.
Bonus: Heal the Hood MKE block party: Saturday, May 25
This year marks the eighth annual Heal the Hood block party at North 10th Street and West Atkinson Street. The party starts at noon and will feature music by B-Free and Homer Blow as well as shows by the Milwaukee Flyers tumbling team. There also will be vendors, free food, face painting and more.
Did you like this story? Subscribe to NNS today.